You: An experienced policy professional committed to the cause of liberty with a track record of finding creative solutions and promoting them in the halls of state legislatures. Your role is to research, develop, and promote policies that protect liberty and individual rights. You are fascinated by the legislative process and are excited by the opportunity to work with policymakers to make our reform proposals a reality.
Them: Regulatory bureaucrats, mayors, governors, legislators, and others in federal and state agencies undermining or denying Americans’ rights every day. And then there are the policymakers that are with us in spirit but don’t know where to turn for meaningful and effective solutions.
Us: We fight back. Pacific Legal Foundation is the nation’s first and most successful public interest law firm dedicated to vindicating individual liberty. PLF has an unmatched record in the United States Supreme Court, with 15 victories out of 17 cases litigated before the Court. We also have more than a hundred active cases across the nation. We leverage that long history of litigation success along with our strategic research into cutting-edge policy solutions at every level of government.
We are a next-generation public interest law firm. This means we aren’t interested in doing the same thing as everyone else. We aspire to be the best player in a constantly changing game.
About the Legal Policy Manager Opening:
You will work with the Legal Policy Director, Legal Policy Deputy Directors, and PLF attorneys to develop and promote policies that promote liberty and individual rights. You will draft legislation, testify in committees, coordinate with policy allies, write blogs and op-eds, attend conferences, and do media hits supporting our mission and vision.
Getting down to brass tacks, your specific job duties will likely include:
- Working with PLF attorneys and policy team to develop innovative policy solutions to prevent pernicious discrimination, promote economic opportunity, fight the administrative state, and protect property rights
- Strategizing and working with policymakers to secure policy wins
- Expanding and helping lead the coalition that supports PLF’s reform agenda
- Promoting PLF and individual reforms through writing, speaking, and media hits
- Reviewing legislation and providing technical support to policymakers
This role is ideal for someone with:
- 3+ years of experience moving pro-liberty legislation
- A law degree or extensive knowledge of the law or legal policies PLF promotes
- Knowledge of and a principled passion for individual liberty, one that transcends private or other political interests
- Proof of strong writing and research skills
- A genuine interest in public speaking and legislative engagement
- Willingness to travel approximately 30-40% (and more from January to May)
About Pacific Legal Foundation:
Pacific Legal Foundation identifies and litigates important legal issues to set landmark precedents that will benefit Americans nationwide. Using strategic and principled litigation, communications, and research, we battle for freedom in the nation’s courts and the court of public opinion.
As a national nonprofit organization, PLF has brick-and-mortar offices in Sacramento, California; Arlington, Virginia; and Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, although approximately half of the staff work from home offices across the country. This position is managed from the Arlington, Virginia office, so work from or additional travel to that office is required.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Your resume, including your experience in equality research and other relevant professional experience.
- A cover letter explaining why PLF is the place for you, why you want to fight for liberty, and what distinguishes you from typical applicants.
- Two writing samples: 1) research report or policy analysis and 2) something written for a public audience advocating reform.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Lydia Ocampo, Outreach Specialist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.
This is a full-time, permanent position. PLF is committed to recruiting and retaining the highest-quality talent available nationwide, and we offer a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, medical and dental insurance, and employer-paid retirement savings. We take work-life balance seriously through our generous paid leave and flextime policies. We have a flexible, collaborative, positive, and collegial work environment. We take pride in investing in your future and encourage internal advancement. PLF is the place for someone principled, tenacious, and determined to succeed in positively shaping the future of our country and restoring real limits on government power. Join us.