About Leadership Institute:
The Leadership Institute is a 501(c)( 3) organization that was founded in 1979 by its president, Morton C. Blackwell, LI provides training in campaigns, fundraising, grassroots organizing, youth politics, and communications. The Institute teaches conservatives of all ages how to succeed in politics, government, and the media. Since 1979, LI has trained more than 200,000 conservative activists, leaders, and students. The Institute’s unique college campus network has grown to more than 1,700 conservative campus groups and newspapers.
About the Reporter/Assistant Editor Opening:
The Leadership Institute is hiring a Reporter and/or Assistant Editor for its campus news website Campus Reform.org. As America’s leading source for conservative college news, Campus Reform serves as a watchdog to our country’s higher education system, with a mission to expose liberal bias and abuse on college campuses.
As Reporter or Assistant Editor, you will work on a team of professional journalists and a network of roughly 200 conservative student journalists with a passion for reforming American higher education by reporting on the conduct and misconduct of administrators, faculty, and students. The ideal candidate will have at least one year of professional media experience. Strong speaking, writing, and research skills will be imperative.
This is a full-time in-office, remote, or hybrid position that reports directly to the Editor in Chief. Leadership Institute has a preference for the new hire to be based in Arlington, VA but exceptional candidates will be considered for remote work.
- Pitch daily stories to the Editor in Chief
- Write timely, accurate articles in compliance with in-house style and standards
- Coordinate original research and analysis projects with the editorial team
- Assist with fact checking and editing
- Minimum of one year of professional work experience in media and/or journalism; college internships count toward this experience
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to communicate effectively on camera
- Proficiency in identifying and producing newsworthy content
- Strict adherence to journalism rules and ethics
- A strong understanding of conservative politics and Campus Reform’s mission
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
- Avid consumer of national news
- Philosophical alignment with and passion for Leadership Institute/Campus Reform’s mission
- Experience reporting on higher education issues
- Experience in broadcast media
- Previous editing or management experience
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your philosophical interest in the organization, the Reporter/Assistant Editor position, how your experience has prepared you for this position, and your salary requirements
- One professional (not academic) writing sample that is 500-1,000 words. Excerpts from longer pieces are acceptable.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement, at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.