Libertas Institute is an award-winning think tank in Utah with an 85% track record seeing its recommendations become law. We export our policy victories to other states to help partner groups and legislators replicate our reforms, and we operate educational projects such as the acclaimed Tuttle Twins children’s books that are read by millions of people throughout the world.
The Libertas Institute is seeking a motivated individual to join its seasoned government affairs team to help increase its impact in Utah. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, this is a full-time position in Salt Lake City, Utah. Depending on experience, in-office presence may be required for the first year, but then fully remote office work will be allowed (with once a week in-office meeting), while continuing to reside close to Salt Lake City.
Libertas’ policy portfolio focuses on five core principles:
- Free Enterprise
- Personal Freedom
- Justice and Due Process
- Education Empowerment
The Director of Utah Government Affairs will be responsible for:
- Building and maintaining relationships with Utah legislators, the executive branch, and other policymakers
- Attending a wide variety of events and other functions that would further the work, reach, and influence of Libertas Institute
- Partnering with like-minded organizations, stakeholders, and experts to elevate the organization’s brand and influence
- Helping work with policy analysts and others to draft legislation
- Coordinating and strategizing with the President and Executive Vice President to maximize effectiveness
- Creating and executing strategic initiatives involving each of our core principles in the Utah legislative arena
- Being a face and voice of Libertas and representing the organization at various meetings and functions
You will bring to the role your:
- At least one of the following:
- Minimum three to five years of experience in public or government relations of any kind
- Two or more years of experience with the Utah Legislature
- One year of professional lobbying experience at the Utah Legislature
- Policy savvy and an ability to navigate diverse, nuanced ideologies; Libertas engages with individuals who hold a wide variety of beliefs
- Excellent oral skills and above average written skills
- A friendly, outgoing personality accompanied with a love of working directly with people
- An entrepreneurial, self-starter with a collaborative mindset
- A firm belief in individual liberty
- Ability to travel often around the state of Utah and periodically travel to out-of-state conferences and events, approximately 20-25%
You will get:
- A salary commensurate with experience
- Matching 401k
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Health care reimbursement
- Meal stipend
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials as a single PDF:
- Cover Letter detailing:
- Interest in the position and the mission of Libertas
- Salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Director of Network Engagement of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.