About Leadership Institute
The Leadership Institute is a 501(c)3 nonprofit founded in 1979 by its president, Morton C. Blackwell. LI provides training in campaigns, fundraising, grassroots organizing,
youth politics, and communications.
The Institute teaches conservatives of all ages how to succeed in politics, government, and the media. Since its founding, LI has trained more than 200,000 conservative activists, leaders, and students.
About the Opening
LI seeks a friendly, detailed-oriented, and organized individual with the highest levels of personal integrity and exceptional judgment to serve as our Human Resources Manager. The HR Manager supports the organization and its staff in a variety of human resource functions.
The person we are looking for is a servant leader, a team player, and a “doer”, who is motivated by the Institute’s mission to increase the number and effectiveness of conservative leaders.
This is a full-time role based in LI’s Arlington, VA office, remote candidates will not be considered. The position reports to the Institute’s chief financial officer.
Orientation: Develop and lead an onboarding experience for new hires on LI’s history and culture; provide training on the Institute’s various procedures and systems
Onboarding & Offboarding: Manage the onboarding and offboarding of all new employees in the Institute’s HRIS; process all employment updates
Personnel Search: Assist hiring managers in the search for organizational talent. Develop a strong network with conservative universities and nonprofits to develop a talent pipeline
Employee Benefits: Manage the Institute’s generous employee benefits package including annual insurance renegotiation, open enrollment, 403b, and SEP-IRA plans. Lead employee education relating to benefits
Personnel Management: Serve as the point of contact for all Institute personnel issues and investigations. Provide regular employee communication, as needed
Policies and Procedures: Ensure LI’s employee handbook and finance operating procedures are up-to-date and communicated to staff
Culture Building: Work with the CFO to develop and execute a strong culture in the finance department
Performance Management: Collaborate with key stakeholders across the Institute to develop and enhance employee performance management
- 2-5 years of experience in human resources or personnel management
- Familiarity with laws and policies regarding interviewing, hiring, and HR issues
- Highest levels of personal integrity, exceptional judgment, and demonstrated discretion in handling sensitive information
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- Strong customer-service ethic
- Highly detailed-oriented
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills; strong team player
- BSc or BA with preference given to degrees in human resources, business or the liberal arts; graduate degree or certificate in human resources management a plus but not required
- Alignment with and passion for the mission of the Leadership Institute
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- 100% employer-paid health insurance plan for employee and family
- Employer retirement plan contribution typically equal to 15% of compensation for eligible employees. No employee contribution required.
- Generous paid-time off (PTO) plan and annual holidays
- Employer HSA contribution; ability to contribute additional funds to HSA and FSA
- 100% employer-paid vision plan and dental plan for employee and family, with optional low-cost orthodontics coverage upgrade
- 403b retirement plan
- Employer-paid short-term disability insurance, long-term disability insurance, & $50,000 life insurance plan.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials as a single PDF:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position and the mission of LI
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.