American Juris Link is a new organization created to support the growing field of public interest litigators who work to advance freedom and the rule of law. We offer services and programs to litigators in order to leverage resources and create opportunities for collaboration. Services include securing local counsel, coordinating amicus briefs, and facilitating connections to resources and allies. We do not offer legal services directly to clients. Instead, we offer highly personalized and targeted services to link litigators to resources.
American Juris Link was incubated by State Policy Network. We launched as an independent 501(c)(3) the last quarter of 2019. Prior to launching, extensive strategic planning was conducted with input from leading litigators and philanthropists. The President and Founder is a former public interest litigator who helped launch the first state-based litigation center under Hon. Clint Bolick.
About the Position
The Legal Director will report to and work closely with the President to direct programs and provide personalized services to public interest litigators. For example, the Legal Director will secure local counsel upon request, help add signers to amicus briefs, organize moot courts, and facilitate the sharing of resources. He/she will research, summarize, and report on the work of litigation centers and the public interest legal landscape. The Legal Director will travel to conferences and meetings to collect information, build relationships, and advertise our new services. He/she may serve as a spokesperson for the organization among friendly legal audiences. The Legal Director will partner with the President to identify and execute high value opportunities to help litigators succeed in advancing freedom and the rule of law. In addition to directing legal services, the Legal Director will assume various other responsibilities to help meet the diverse needs of a new and growing organization.
The ideal candidate will have:
- a passion to advance freedom and the rule of law;
- significant litigation experience but no desire to litigate;
- a belief in the value of collaboration to maximize success, and a natural ability for connecting people and resources;
- an exceptional customer service focus with great attention to detail, excellent follow-through, and a highly personalized touch;
- a professional and approachable demeanor;
- a team-oriented and self-motivated work ethic;
- an appreciation for flexible but challenging work on a small team within a new and dynamic organization.
- Bar admission and 3-10+ years civil litigation experience is desirable. However, highly intellectual candidates with 7+ years of paralegal / administrative experience in civil litigation will also be considered.
- Other qualifications include the ability to:
- recognize and articulate legal claims, defenses, and procedures common in public interest litigation;
- read, understand, and summarize legal documents;
- understand how to best serve litigators and allies;
- build and maintain relationships and coalitions;
- travel to conferences and meetings every other month.
- Existing experience and relationships within allied communities is a plus, but not required.
Structure and Benefits
American Juris Link is a non-partisan, tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. We rely on support from individuals, corporations, and foundations and do not seek or accept government funding.
We are a small organization and currently offer no insurance or retirement benefits. However, we highly value our team, and we motivate and reward them through competitive salaries and a flexible work environment.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter explaining your A) interest in the position and ability to excel in it, and B) salary requirements.
- Three professional references with contact information.
- Concise list of your litigation experience (cases at the trial, appeals, and supreme court levels; legal briefs; oral arguments; other relevant litigation experience). Candidates with 3-5 years of civil litigation experience are encouraged to submit a comprehensive list of cases bulleting your role and the outcome. Candidates with 6-10+ years of civil litigation experience may submit a selection of significant accomplishments and roles.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.