Kansas Justice Institute is a non-profit, public-interest litigation firm committed to defending against government overreach and abuse.
KJI’s work focuses on protecting property rights, ensuring the right to earn an honest living, defending free speech and association, and reforming the criminal justice system, among other areas. KJI also examines, discusses, and educates the public regarding issues concerning the size and scope of government power to ensure that all Kansans have the right to control their own destinies. KJI is part of Kansas Policy Institute.
About the Staff Attorney Opening:
KJI seeks an attorney to support its litigation efforts and the overall effectiveness of the organization. The role reports to KJI’s litigation director. Depending on experience, this attorney will work in an unstructured and flexible environment to identify, create, and manage legal actions in and out of court. This includes research, discovery, drafting, and possible court appearances. This attorney may also interface with clients, policymakers, and donors. It is vital this attorney is able to work well with a team and communicate across organizational roles.
Responsibilities and Requirements:
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Kansas law license or have the ability to expeditiously acquire a Kansas license
- 1-3 years of litigation, clerkship, or legal writing experience
- Superior writing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional organization and discipline
- Ability to effectively communicate across organizational roles, work well within a team setting
- Demonstrable commitment to understanding constitutional law, limiting government, and advancing individual rights
Ideally, the staff position will be in Overland Park. If conditions and other considerations dictate, a virtual office or placement in our Wichita office is possible.
Candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Résumé, including a list of three professional references
- Cover letter explaining what calls you to Kansas Justice Institute and listing your salary requirements
- Brief description and explanation of an idea for a case that KJI should consider
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement, at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.