The John Locke Foundation is an independent, nonprofit think tank based in Raleigh, North Carolina dedicated to defending and advancing freedom and working for truth, for freedom, for the future of North Carolina. Locke employs research, journalism, and outreach programs to transform government through competition, innovation, personal freedom, and personal responsibility.
About the Role
The John Locke Foundation is seeking a Fiscal Policy Analyst to join its research division. He or she will work closely with the Senior VP of Research to help advance the organization’s mission.
The Fiscal Policy Analyst will be responsible for conducting in-depth research on various public policy issues, specifically related to state fiscal and economic policy. By producing high-quality research briefs, reports, op-eds, and blog posts, the Analyst will aim to influence policymaking, inspire donors, and inform media and the general public with persuasive, timely, and accurate content.
Specific public policy issues covered include, but are not limited to, state budgets, state tax policy, economic policy, healthcare policy, and the impact of federal spending and tax policies on North Carolina.
The ideal candidate will be a talented communicator with 2+ years of related experience. This role is based in Locke’s Raleigh, North Carolina office with the option to work from home up to 2 days a week.
- Conduct original research on a variety of public policy issues related to state fiscal and economic policy
- Produce high-quality research briefs and other written material including, but not limited to, op-eds and blog posts
- Fulfill occasional speaking requests for local civic organizations, legislative committee meetings, and speak with media as needed
- Two or more years of experience in policy-related research, public advocacy, government affairs, or non-profit work. Substantive internships may count toward experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred)
- Strong preference given to candidates with a background in economics
- Commitment to individual liberty and free markets
- Initiative to start and complete projects thoroughly and on time
- Strong research and writing abilities
- Strong quantitative analysis skills
- Paid time off (13 paid holidays)
- 401K offering with an employer match
- Travel savings account program with an employer match
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage, FSA
- Life and disability insurance
- Hybrid remote work opportunities
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials (in order) in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position and the mission of the John Locke Foundation, as well as your salary requirements
- Two writing samples of your choice, a maximum of three pages total
- Blog posts, briefs, op-eds, or college papers are all acceptable
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Bailey Drouant, Outreach Manager at Talent Market, who is managing the search process: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.