The Independent Institute is a non-profit, non-partisan, public-policy research and educational organization that shapes ideas into lasting impact through publications, conferences, and effective multi-media programs. Our mission is boldly to advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. Applying independent thinking to issues that matter, we create transformational ideas for today’s most pressing social and economic challenges.
The Independent Institute is seeking an experienced strategist and practitioner to lead Independent’s outward-facing marketing and outreach efforts (apart from fundraising). The chief marketing officer masterminds, develops, and implements such efforts, aiming to widen and deepen the audience for Independent’s ideas, and to increase distribution and purchases of Independent’s publications. This role is located in the office in Oakland, CA or can also be virtual anywhere for the right candidate. This person will report to the President of the Independent Institute.
Giving direction to a small team of 4, the chief marketing officer energetically fulfills the following major operational responsibilities:
- Overall marketing management. Develop and implement effective email, direct mail, promotional, and ad campaigns, to promote Independent’s books, journal, programs, and events. This work includes the creation and management of a calendar of promotional campaigns; preparing suitable content and messaging; administering ad placements, including online ads and paid and exchange ads with other publications and sites; organizing collateral and website promotional initiatives; coordinating with other departments which are also engaged in outreach activities; and overseeing mailing list rentals to others. This also includes the creation and management of relevant budgets.
- “Next Generations” marketing. Work closely with other departments to develop a Next Generations program marketing plan including competitive analysis, products and services (e.g., digital content delivery), promotion, pricing, distribution, partnerships, and budget. Partner with and promote Independent’s young-citizen-oriented Love Gov and Catalyst initiatives.
- Social media. Oversee the management of Independent’s social media platforms. Prepare social media plans including metrics that describe key strategies, objectives, messaging and action. Curate and develop content (e.g., op-eds, blogs, memes) to cultivate online conversations and engagement with our audience to increase engagement and reach.
- Events management. In collaboration with Independent’s events team, plan, develop and implement Independent’s promotional events both on and off site. This involves liaison with staff, research fellows, partner organizations, and others to develop opportunities and programs to enhance Independent’s brand and our research centers and fellows, including delivery of anticipated outcomes regarding events.
- Distribution and subscriber management for Independent’s growing line of books and for The Independent Review. Coordinate campaigns to maintain and increase book sales and The Independent Review subscriber base and distribution; undertake library promotion activities; monitor campaign and sales results; suggest improvements for promotion and sales; and monitor inventory.
- Publicity. Maintain effective peer-partnership with Independent’s Director of Media Relations to foster effective placement of content created by affiliated fellows, in print, digital, online, and broadcast media.
- Documentation. Ensure policies and reporting processes across all marketing functions that clearly identify progress made towards short and long-term goals, including weekly reporting using analytic tools.
- A strong commitment to the ideas animating the Independent Institute
- 3-10+ years of experience in marketing and sales
- Experience in creating broad plans that also contain detailed implementation objectives and measurable outcomes, and carrying them out successfully
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Digital and social media dexterity
- Flawless writing skills
- Appropriate educational credentials are a plus (e.g., B.A. and/or M.A. in marketing or policy)
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials (in order) in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your interest in Independent’s mission and the position and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Director of Outreach at Talent Market, who is managing the search process: [email protected].
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.