Established in September 1999, the Bill of Rights Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization that works to engage, educate, and empower individuals with a passion for the freedom and opportunity that exist in a free society. The Institute develops educational resources and programs for a network of more than 50,000 educators and 70,000 students nationwide.
The Institute envisions a society in which all individuals enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It is a society in which:
- Students engage with and champion these rights for themselves and others.
- Teachers educate students to seek knowledge and tackle challenges with these rights in mind.
- Parents empower their children to apply these rights in their own lives through interaction, example, and dialogue.
The Bill of Rights Institute engages, educates, and empowers individuals with a passion for the freedom and opportunity that exist in a free society.
The Director, Human Resources ensures effective delivery of HR services to employees at a 20 person non-profit. This role will be responsible for overseeing all elements of HR on a daily basis including recruiting, on-boarding, off-boarding, compliance and reporting, employee relations, maintenance and updating of policies and procedures, compensation, benefits, and payroll. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Manage external HR and payroll vendor
- Oversee the upkeep and updating of policies and procedures
- Manage recruiting, ensuring compliance and documentation of hiring practices
- Manage recruitment, conduct initial phone screenings, and perform interviews
- Responsible for on-boarding and off-boarding
- Maintain human resource records
- Maintain compliance with federal and state regulations regarding employment
- Employee relations and counseling
- Administer the performance review process
- Conduct employee training
- Maintain company organization chart and employee directory
- Be a first point of contact for all employee questions on HR matters
- Advise COO and organization President on HR matters and issues
Desired Skills and Experience
- 5-7 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- SHRM or HRCI certification (PHR, SHRM-CP)
- Experience in the non-profit space a plus but not required
- General and current knowledge of employment laws and practices
- General HR management experience applicable to responsibilities described above
- Able to think strategically about HR requirements and advise senior executive leadership
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Strong culture fit
- Excellent computer and written/oral communication skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent organization skills and ability to plan and manage projects
- Able to work in a high-performing, fast-paced environment
- Alignment with BRI’s mission; appreciation for the founding documents as well as the freedom and opportunity that exist in a free society
This is a full-time position paying a base salary, full benefits, and has possible bonus potential based on merit and performance.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your qualifications for this role, why you think BRI’s mission is important in today’s society, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.