About Scala Foundation
Founded in 2016, Scala Foundation is a nonprofit organization in Princeton, New Jersey that aims to build a culture of freedom by restoring beauty and wisdom to liberal arts education. We accomplish this mission by teaching and empowering crucial agents of cultural renewal: educational entrepreneurs, teachers and professors, and culture creators who believe that liberty and beauty are necessary for human flourishing.
Through Scala’s conferences, reading groups, seminars, webinars, writers’ groups and publications, we form our culture’s future leaders in a robust liberal arts education based on the truth that a human being is a unity of mind, body, and soul. Scala’s intellectual influences include figures like Roger Scruton, John Henry Newman, Edmund Burke, Russell Kirk and Luigi Giussani. Through art, poetry, liturgy, natural beauty, and friendship, we show how beauty can inspire students towards the pursuit of wisdom and sustain a civilization based on principles of freedom. You can learn more about Scala’s mission and programs here at www.scalafoundation.org and on Scala’s YouTube channel.
Scala Foundation seeks to hire a General Manager who will be involved in all aspects of Scala’s operations, development, and programs. The General Manager will report to and work closely with the Executive Director and the Board to develop strategic goals, track and improve internal operations and development practices, and align priorities with Scala’s budget and personnel.
The General Manager position is full time and will report to the Executive Director. Residence (or willingness to relocate) within 50 miles of Princeton is required. Work can be done remotely approximately two days a week; the rest of the work will normally be done in Scala’s offices.
Specific duties of the General Manager include:
- Oversee all aspects of operations and programs to align with budget and resources, such as by developing an annual budget, assisting in budgets for grants, working with the bookkeeper and accountant to develop budget projections, and assisting in selecting and maintaining key technology used in finances, donor relations and communications;
- Supervise staff, including independent contractors and interns who handle various office logistics;
- Prepare financial and narrative reports for the Executive Director, board, and tax/audit purposes;
- Review and edit grant proposals, promotional materials, donor letters, and external communications (such as a monthly newsletter);
- Work with Executive Director and staff to plan for achieving strategic goals in fundraising and development, such as donor relationship building, reporting on grants/donations, and network building for prospective donors;
- Work with Executive Director and staff to develop annual programs, such as selecting themes, brainstorming names of speakers, and engaging with potential speakers, etc.;
Other responsibilities may be assigned as needed by the organization.
Successful applicants will have:
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role in operations, administration or management
- Management experience
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, extremely collegial
- Excellent research and organizational skills
- Outstanding communication skills, written and oral
- Integrity/ethics beyond reproach
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and good judgment
- Constantly looking to apply best practices
- Willingness to learn new skills as needed
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for, understanding of, and commitment to Scala’s mission and goals
- Proficiency with or ability to learn:
- QuickBooks, Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneDrive), WordPress, Dropbox, Gsuite (especially Gmail, Google calendar, Google Drive and Google Docs), Asana (or a similar project management software), and social media platforms (e.g., LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.)
- Moderate to advanced knowledge of Raisers’ Edge (or CRM systems more generally) would be a plus
- Knowledge of Canva, other graphic design software, and video editing software would also be a plus
Ability to make a difference; access to a strong network of scholars, students and educators, and culture-creators; chance to help develop a growing nonprofit organization; opportunity to advance liberal arts education and the culture of freedom.
Salary and Benefits
This position is full-time. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter describing your interest in both the work of Scala Foundation and in the General Manager position specifically. Include your salary and benefits requirements in your cover letter.
- Resume or CV.
- Three professional references who can speak to your ability to fulfill the job duties described above. Please include contact information and your relationship to each reference.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.