About the Litigation Counsel Opening:
Government Justice Center, an Albany, New York based public interest law center, in partnership with the Rhode Island Center for Freedom & Prosperity (RICFP), is expanding to Rhode Island to promote our shared belief in the rule of law and promoting government transparency and citizen engagement.
We seek a highly motivated, enthusiastic individual to serve as GJC Litigation Counsel. The Litigation Counsel will help establish GJC’s presence in Rhode Island and handle litigation in state and federal courts in support of our mission and vision. The Litigation Counsel will also build a durable legal capacity in Rhode Island as head of RICFP’s Flanders Legal Center for Freedom (FLC), helping to raise awareness in Rhode Island of government abuse and other improper actions through position papers, public commentary and public records requests.
This position will work closely with the GJC’s Executive Director and General Counsel, with a primary focus of driving litigation and policy objectives in Rhode Island that complement RICFP’s policy agenda.
Preferably, the Litigation Counsel will be admitted to practice in Rhode Island (or commit to being admitted within one year) and located in Rhode Island. We will also consider a candidate working remotely from a location that makes regular travel to Rhode Island for meetings feasible.
About the Government Justice Center & Flanders Legal Center for Freedom:
The Government Justice Center is an independent not-for-profit organization that protects taxpayers from government waste, abuse, misappropriation, and other improper actions.
Our mission and vision derive from our belief in the rule of law — the principle that everyone, including our government officials, are accountable to laws that are publicly promulgated, equally enforced, independently adjudicated, and consistent with our inalienable rights.
We believe, above all else, that government functions best when held to the highest standards of transparency and accountability, and that government should follow the same laws to which private citizens are held.
We seek an environment where taxpayers feel free to stand up to their government without risking their livelihoods, personal finances, or time. We want lawmakers and government officials at every level to think twice before taking actions that may violate the law.
The Flanders Legal Center for Freedom is a project of the Rhode Island Center for Freedom & Prosperity. As a complement to GJC’s public interest litigation, FLC will offer position papers and public commentary on pressing legal issues, and drive transparency and accountability in Rhode Island through public records requests.
- Finding, vetting, creating legal strategy for and representing GJC clients in and out of court;
- Leading the Flanders Legal Center in Rhode Island and becoming an expert on the Rhode Island state Constitution
- Assisting with fundraising efforts to support the operations and work of the GJC and the FLC;
- Working closely with partner organizations;
- Working with the volunteer FLC legal team and providing occasional legal advice to RICFP and its statewide coalition partners;
- Providing general support to the GJC’s operations and strategic vision.
- 4+ years of litigation experience preferred;
- Strong writing ability and creative research skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively but also manage a caseload independently;
- Strong verbal and interpersonal skills, media experience preferred
- Admitted to the Rhode Island bar or able to become admitted as soon as feasible;
- Knowledge of and interest in the public policy issues on which GJC and FLC focus;
- An affinity with the GJC’s approach to protecting citizens from improper government actions.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing:
– candidate background;
-interest in the position and the mission of GJC, RICFP, and the national liberty movement;
-a compelling case for why the applicant would excel in this position;
- Two concise writing samples.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.