The Liberty Justice Center, which brought the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case Janus v. AFSCME and represented plaintiff Mark Janus, is expanding. The Center seeks an ambitious and visionary General Counsel to chart the organization’s national post-Janus litigation strategy and lead our team of talented attorneys.
About the Liberty Justice Center
The Liberty Justice Center was founded in 2011 to fight against political privilege. The very best example of our ability to turn that vision into a reality is in our victory in the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case, Janus v. AFSCME.
Our victory in this case means the First Amendment rights of millions of public school teachers, first responders and other government workers have been restored. This is the type of precedent-setting work that the Liberty Justice Center does. We are selective in our caseload, pursuing only strategic litigation that revitalizes constitutional restraints on government power and restores individual rights. To have lasting impact, our work extends far beyond the courtroom. We shape and frame our work in a way that explains what is at stake to the public at large. We seek to win in court, yes – but also in the hearts and minds of the American people.
The position can be based in our Chicago, IL office or the hire may work virtually from another location.
Following the Liberty Justice Center’s historic win in Janus v. AFSCME, the organization is extremely focused on litigation that ensures the decision is fully and consistently implemented at every level of government across the country. Post-Janus litigation will be a primary focus of the General Counsel’s work, but the Center’s legal portfolio also includes other cases related to economic liberty and eliminating political privilege.
The General Counsel will oversee all facets of the Liberty Justice Center’s legal work and legal staff. In addition to superior litigation experience, the General Counsel must possess outstanding written and oral advocacy skills. The General Counsel will serve as the public face of many of the Center’s cases, and will be expected to appear regularly in national and regional news outlets, at speaking engagements and in front of supporters to build enthusiasm and material support for the Center’s work. The General Counsel will report to the President of the Liberty Justice Center.
- A juris doctor degree and current license to practice law.
- At least 8 years of experience litigating cases, preferably including constitutional cases, in trial and appellate courts.
- Outstanding written and oral advocacy skills.
- Experience supervising others attorneys and their work.
- Extensive knowledge of constitutional law, particularly constitutional law affecting public sector and/or labor unions, campaign finance, economic liberty and free speech.
- Extensive knowledge of free-market principles and the strategies and activities of other organizations engaged in similar public-interest litigation.
- Candidates must understand, and be committed to, the Liberty Justice Center’s mission and the principles of individual liberty, free markets and limited government.
Salary and benefits: The Liberty Justice Center is prepared to offer an extraordinary candidate a competitive salary. The Center offers its employees performance-based bonuses, health and dental insurance and a retirement savings plan with employer matching, among other benefits.
The Liberty Justice Center is a nonpartisan, nonprofit, 501c3 public interest law firm. It does not accept government funding and is supported by voluntary contributions.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your interest in the mission of the Liberty Justice Center and your desire to lead their work, b) why you are qualified to ensure the Janus decision is fully and consistently implemented across the country c) an extensive overview of your litigation experience, and d) your preference for a virtual office location, and e) your salary requirements.
- Two legal writing samples
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.