The Independence Institute, Colorado’s premier free-market think tank, seeks a Fiscal Policy Director to run the Fiscal Policy Center of one of the most respected, effective state-based policy institutes in the country. The Fiscal Policy Director will report to the Director of Operations of Independence Institute.
The ideal candidate has a passion for individual and personal freedom, thrives on policy strategy, builds coalitions, and boasts a track record of exceptional achievement. This person must be comfortable and confident as a media figure, a forward thinker, a free marketeer, and a promoter of liberty. This candidate takes our mission seriously, but not him/herself.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Policy – Oversees the Fiscal Policy Center and related projects. Works with other center directors and project managers as needed. Works with legislators and state-wide elected officials as needed. Builds coalitions to advance policy goals statewide, including ballot initiatives. The Fiscal Policy Center’s focus is Colorado’s Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights, Colorado State budget policy, and Colorado State education financing.
- Strategic Planning – Ensures Fiscal Policy Center is aligned with the organization’s strategic plan and mission.
- Development– Works with development team on fundraising plans and execution as it relates to the Fiscal Policy Center.
- Personnel – Supervision of any future staff, including management of job descriptions, goal setting, monitoring progress, providing guidance, giving performance reviews, setting compensation, and determining employment status, as well as ensuring that staff has the resources, systems and training they need to be fully operational and effective.
- Communications, Publications and Outreach – Responsible for written deliverables from policy papers to op-eds. In partnership with the Director of Operations, responsible for communications that are created by the center, including social media, and contribution to weekly, monthly and quarterly publications that are in line with Independence Institute principles and mission. Accepts media and speaking engagements when appropriate.
- Finance –In partnership with the Director of Operations, responsible for the center’s annual budget and compliance within c3 requirements.
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Minimum of five years of experience in a similar role demonstrating growth and success
- Bachelor’s degree
- Thorough understanding and demonstrated support of free-market principles/economic concepts
- Significant knowledge of/experience in the free-market public policy arena
- Familiarity with Colorado legislators and legislative process – important, but not required
- Ability to effectively interact with legislators, media, stakeholders, and general public
- Ability to make sound decisions quickly and follow-through on necessary objectives
- Excellent writing, editing, and public communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Self-directed and goal oriented
- Enjoy our unique freedom-loving culture that’s a combination of Animal House meets Hillsdale
- Advanced degree in economics, policy, law, or related field preferred but not required; performance is more important than pedigree
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this position/Independence Institute’s mission and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.