The mission of Alaska Policy Forum (APF) is to empower and educate Alaskans and policymakers by promoting policies that grow freedom for all. Alaska Policy Forum’s vision is an Alaska that continuously grows prosperity by maximizing individual opportunities and freedom.
Alaska Policy Forum works with policymakers to provide the data and information needed to bring about policy reforms which promote individual and economic opportunity and freedom.
About the Role:
The Executive Vice President (EVP) works alongside the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to lead the organization in achieving its strategic goals, resulting in successful fulfillment of APF’s mission. Alaska Policy Forum has four full-time staff, is growing in leadership, and is looking to shape this hire around the candidate’s skills. Opportunities may include strategic planning, operations and administrative management, development and fundraising, communications and marketing, government affairs, financial management, human resources, leadership and board development, and external relations. These areas of responsibility can be built around a candidate’s strengths and interests.
In anticipation of future leadership retirement, there is tremendous potential within the organization for growth and promotion. APF desires to find a long-term team member.
This full-time hybrid position is based in Anchorage with both on-site and virtual work, and reports to APF’s CEO. For the first six months, the new hire will need to be in the office full-time.
Potential Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Coordinate strategic planning to ensure the establishment of APF goals.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the organization to ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Establish & cultivate relationships with donors, potential donors, and community organizations.
- Create and execute annual development plan to include foundation grant program and tracking fundraising metrics.
- Organize APF events, including guest speakers, luncheons, dinners, and conferences.
- Develop and implement external communications and marketing strategies to promote APF and its work.
- Design, engage, and administer APF’s relationships with policymakers and influencers to leverage reform opportunities within state government.
- Ensure financial obligations are met in a timely manner and within budget.
- Recruit, manage, and cultivate talent.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Firsthand association with Alaska (current or prior). We are looking for someone who has spent substantial time in Alaska and has a close connection to the state. That cruise you took back in 2014 doesn’t count!
- 5+ years of work experience in development, government affairs, or management, 1 in leadership capacity
- Passion for our mission to grow prosperity, opportunities and freedom for Alaskans
- Disciplined and reliable, capacity to serve as a planner and provider of structure that enables others to thrive
- Highly motivated with excellent organizational, interpersonal and communications skills (written and verbal in English)
- Office computer systems proficiency, primarily Microsoft Office products
- Self-starter who will thrive in a small, nimble team environment
- Diplomatic, resourceful, and persuasive
- Maintains stable performance under pressure
- Desire to succeed and commitment to excellence
- Strategic thinking skills; creative problem solver
- Exhibits humility and self-discipline
- Flexible with enthusiastic willingness to learn and embrace change
- Does what is right and ethical, not just what is expedient
- Professional in appearance
- Ability to travel, percentage depending on the candidate’s skillset. (Anywhere from 15-40%)
Benefits may include:
- Flexible and generous paid time off and floating holidays
- Employer matching retirement program
- Health care benefits
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your connection to Alaska, your interest in APF, why you believe in APF’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement, at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.