Are you interested in leading extraordinarily high-quality and creative events for America’s leading philanthropists at Washington’s premier public policy think tank? Join the American Enterprise Institute’s development team as our next Director, Development Events.
As AEI’s Director, Development Events, you will serve as a core leader on the development team to conceptualize, plan, and execute high level events for AEI’s supporters. You will be responsible for reflecting the mission and essence of AEI in building out our current high-profile suite of donor events and leading long-term strategy. You will deliver a creative, superior experience in all steps of the event lifecycle—from program content, agenda, and speaker logistics to top-notch guest management. As part of this role, you will collaborate closely with AEI’s president and supervise a staff of two on the development events team. The Director will sometimes coordinate with external events management companies as needed.
AEI’s suite of fundraising events includes large-scale retreats, programming at our HQ in Washington, and a variety of other large and smaller-scale events. Frequent travel (roughly 25-30 percent) is expected, though a large share of the travel will be concentrated in certain seasons surrounding AEI’s key events.
This is a great opportunity for a leader who thrives in managing a highly customized and refined approach to event planning, and enjoys overseeing innovative events that remain flexible and are responsive to changing needs. You will have the opportunity to align new and updated event strategies with our mission to connect donors more closely to our work. If you are excited by the thought of developing relationships and partnerships across your department, organization, and professional network, we encourage you to apply today.
The Director, Development Events will report to the Managing Director, Development and will work from AEI’s Washington, DC office. This is not a virtual position.
- Works across the organization to their objectives for certain events including venue selection, invitations and communications, program content, experience management, food and beverage selections, and other specialized requirements.
- Develops relationships and partners with the development staff to understand donor preferences, needs, and builds trust to ensure events exceed expectations.
- Creates on-site experience for event attendees on par with the highest level global gatherings of political leaders, corporate CEOs and other premier thought leaders. It also includes coordinating logistics to deliver an exceptional experience for VIP speakers.
- Manages overall budgets for events; negotiates contracts for services, dates, times, and spaces; serves as primary contact with selected venues.
- 8+ years of experience, including significant experience in event planning
- Demonstrated interest in public policy and the mission of AEI
- Ability to respond to problems effectively and to assist clients with a calm, courteous, and helpful manner and attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, superior organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail, and thrives as a team player
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong technology skills (role uses Microsoft Office Suite and Salesforce)
- Experience working with or coordinating with high-level government officials and other VIP participants
- Experience overseeing and meeting established budgets and negotiating contracts, as well as dealing with any legal, ethical, or regulatory requirements that may arise
- Ability to travel roughly 25-30 percent of the time
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter, which should detail your interest in this role and advancing the mission of AEI, as well as your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.