Reason’s Education Policy Team:
Reason Foundation envisions an education system with robust learning opportunities that meet the unique needs of all families. Our education policy team supports policymakers in pursuing reforms that tie funding to individual students, promote locally-responsive decisions that drive innovation, and provide robust financial transparency. We do this through policy research, technical support, and thought leadership.
Most states use antiquated funding formulas that allocate education dollars in a manner that is unfair, opaque, and restrictive. Reason seeks to transform these systems so that funding is based on individual students, school leaders are empowered to make resource-allocation decisions, and all families have options beyond residentially-assigned schools. We have a relentless focus on producing high-quality policy research and data-driven resources that meet the needs of state policymakers and other stakeholders.
About the Education Outreach Manager Opening:
We are looking to hire an Education Outreach Manager to help advance policy reforms that make education dollars more flexible. The successful candidate will oversee legislative outreach, coalition building, and coalition participation, track legislative action, and communicate regularly with policymakers, advocates, and other partners to support the team’s policy agenda. The Education Outreach Manager will also be required to develop a working understanding of complex funding mechanisms and other policies related to education finance and education choice. The role may also involve policy research and analysis including researching, summarizing, and analyzing state education laws and supporting team member inquiries about the nuances of complex policies. Familiarity with education finance, education choice, public finance, tax policy, and state budget appropriations is a bonus. The ideal candidate is a team player with exceptional communication skills, a track record of effective relationship building, highly organized, works well independently, detail oriented, and has a high degree of integrity.
- Conducts educational outreach to state policymakers and other stakeholders across multiple states
- Monitors and reports on state legislative sessions, meetings of state boards of education, and other state and local meetings that are relevant to the team’s policy agenda
- Builds and participates in coalitions that advance the team’s policy agenda across states
- Analyzes proposed policy changes and reports on benefits, drawbacks, and other findings to team members
- Creates and manages knowledge systems related to legislative tracking, policy proposals, executive action, and team operations include Key Performance Indicators
- Collects and shares data and other pertinent information with team members in preparation for legislative testimony, legislative briefings, public speaking, events, and media appearances
- Assists team members with policy research, including researching and summarizing various components of state and federal education finance and education choice laws to support our policy research and implementation efforts
- Oversees execution of a monthly newsletter
- Works closely with team members and communications staff to craft messaging for various audiences and helps to support product launches
- Provides support with writing commentary and blog posts for Reason.org and other outlets
- Helps to plan both in-person and virtual events, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- 25-50% travel required
Desired Experience & Qualifications:
- At least 3 years of experience in government affairs, policy, or outreach is preferred
- Education policy experience is preferred
- Exceptional writing and communication skills and an ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-experts
- Working knowledge of state legislative processes and practices
- Track record of effective relationship building
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn about the nuances of education finance policy and education choice with an eye for detail
- Ability to work effectively across the political aisle with diverse groups of stakeholders and interests
- Curiosity and self-motivation to learn new things and tackle difficult problems you may have never dealt with before
- Entrepreneurial mindset and extremely resourceful
- General alignment with Reason Foundation’s mission to advance a free society by developing, applying, and promoting libertarian principles, including individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law
Location is negotiable; remote or work from Reason’s office in Washington D.C. or Los Angeles. Project team members are currently located in Arizona, California, North Carolina, and Washington D.C.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in Reason’s mission and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise