About the Smith Institute
The Smith Institute for Political Economy and Philosophy at Chapman University is an intellectual community rooted in freedom of expression as undergraduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and faculty explore economics through the lens of the humanities and humanity through the lens of economics. The mission of the Smith Institute is to reintegrate the study of economics, politics, philosophy, literature, and law in the spirit of Adam Smith and recombine undergraduate education and research as a discovery process in the spirit of Vernon Smith. The Smith Institute’s flagship program, Humanomics, features a community of scholars dedicated to inquiry and research about the causes and consequences of prosperity in the past 200 years.
About the Role
The Smith Institute is looking for an Event and Outreach Coordinator to oversee and administer their events, social media outlets, and website. They will also have the opportunity to represent the Institute at fairs, conferences, and other external events. The ideal candidate will possess an entrepreneurial spirit that will help take SI’s programs to the next level. They will have a passion for outreach and engagement with others in-person and virtually via social media or email. The candidate will also have a proven track record of organizing and promoting events with at least two years of experience in event planning, outreach, or an equivalent field.
This is a full-time position located in Orange, CA.
Oversee and Administer Events:
- Oversee the scheduling and production of all Smith Institute events (i.e. lectures, receptions, workshops, conferences, summer programs)
- Ensure events run smoothly, effectively, and in a financially responsible manner
- Coordinate with other departmental heads as necessary
- Manage all assigned meeting/event details including set-up, A/V needs, guest and attendee logistics, security, sustainability, and health protocols
- Negotiate and contract with campus constituents and outside vendors for a variety of goods, services, space, equipment, etc.
- Operate as a point of contact for potential Humanomics students regarding program inquiries and admissions
- Attend career fairs, information sessions, and outreach events to disseminate information on SI’s programs
- Represent the Smith Institute in other departmental forums that affect SI in the areas of admissions, college fairs, information sessions, and outreach events
- Develop the scope of events by creating project timelines, producing communications materials, event briefings, and timely reports
- Update Smith Institute shared calendar with meetings, events, & affiliate visitor dates
- Coordinate and manage department and committee meetings that include agenda preparation, briefing materials, meeting materials, minutes, speakers, committee reports, capturing and tracking RSVPs, and venue selection
- Provide summaries of activities for reports on events and outreach activities
Marketing and Web Services:
- Collaborate with Chapman Strategic Marketing & Communications department to develop a marketing plan for Humanomics program and oversee the development of marketing materials
- Provide updates for course catalog, website, and promotional brochures
- Establish and administer social media accounts for the Institute and collaborate with Chapman Social Media services
- Generate content for social media and website by capturing faculty and student’s academic accomplishments
- Update Chapman website and faculty pages as needed
- 2-3 years of experience in event planning, outreach, or an equivalent field
- Strong commitment to and alignment with SI’s mission
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Familiarity with Microsoft Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience running various social media pages is a plus
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position and the Smith Institute’s mission, as well as your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Lydia Ocampo, Network Engagement Specialist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.