The Vice President of Communications is responsible for directing EdChoice’s external communications efforts, including managing the EdChoice brand, message and public relations. This position drives the strategy and execution of EdChoice’s regular presence in the media, developing new and nurturing existing media contacts, overseeing message strategy and implementation, and developing and aligning strategic state-based media relations campaigns.
This position also oversees efforts to publish and release print and online newsletters, promotional materials, video and audio products, and research publications, as well as to ensure effective growth of the EdChoice website and social media.
Additionally, this position is a member of the Senior Leadership Team, reporting directly to the President and CEO, thus helping to drive the vision, mission and values of the organization while aligning to all cross-functional Vice Presidents, and their focus and direction, within the organization. The new hire will supervise four director reports, the Marketing Director, Marketing Coordinator, Art Director, and Graphic Designer, and will supervise all vendors.
This position can be based in a virtual office anywhere in the United States or in EdChoice’s office in Indianapolis.
Creates, directs, and monitors a Communications and Marketing Strategy that comprises these key functional areas while influencing and supporting cross-functional departments within the organization:
Oversee and manage the EdChoice brand presence, maintaining and increasing its recognition and credibility.
- Create communication plans for internal and external initiatives and product launches which convey the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Inspire internal leaders to communicate the organizational brand in all communications and be a role model of the brand and values.
- Advise, mentor and manage team to be successful and ensure their work is aligned to the mission and vision of EdChoice.
- Ensure the team meets their annual metrics and reviews those metrics regularly.
- Undertake ongoing assessments of each team member, including annual and semi-annual review of work quality and effectiveness.
- Assist in the development and review of cross-team action plans to promote educational choice.
- Regularly communicate with other team Vice Presidents to ensure effective oversight of work and alignment to vision.
Manage and coordinate efforts to maintain and increase media exposure of EdChoice, including:
- Arranging regular interviews with print and electronic journalists for EdChoice staff and surrogates.
- Developing new media contacts and nurturing relationships with members of the media.
- Writing and publishing op-ed pieces and letters to the editor.
- Drafting and disseminating press releases and media advisories.
- Planning media events, including press conferences, editorial board visits and press briefings.
Publications and Research
Oversee research and publications efforts to ensure the highest quality product, including:
- Producing monthly online newsletters targeted to the general EdChoice audience, as well as to donors and researchers.
- Updating and producing ABC’s of School Choice
- Publishing and disseminating research pieces as well as other publications as needed for state work, training, and development.
Social Media and Website
Oversee EdChoice’s social media presence and website, ensuring timely and relevant content and keeping EdChoice as a leader in the field.
Audio and Video Products
Oversee production of a suite of audio and video products that keep EdChoice fresh and relevant among its competitors and offer new avenues for audiences to access the education choice message.
Media and Other Trainings
Work with Training & Outreach to train state partners, legislators, parents and other key audiences on media outreach, talking with reporters, pitching stories and other topics as needed.
Additional projects could include:
- Assisting state-based organizations, like-minded groups and other individuals with media relations and marketing needs.
- Coordinating marketing materials for state-based groups as needed.
- Developing and implementing marketing and public relations training for state-based organizations.
Skills and Knowledge Desired:
- 7-10 years of communications, public relations and media relations experience
- 5+ years in a leadership capacity
- Experience in a non-profit, 501c3, mission-driven organization
- 5+ years creating strategy to deliver mission-driven growth aligning with an overall strategy
- Proven effectiveness in collaboration with cross-functional senior leaders, direct reports and employees.
- Demonstrated written and verbal abilities. Ability to give effective presentations before an audience and to impart knowledge and key information to small, medium and large audience groups.
- Experience in editing and publishing.
- Must be flexible, able to work independently and capable of managing multiple projects.
- Must be able to move throughout the office and departments to obtain and relay information.
- Some travel (by car and plane) may be required.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter explaining why you are qualified for this position, why you are passionate about EdChoice’s mission, and your salary requirements
Submit your application to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement, at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.