In order to advance the mission of The Fund for American Studies, the development office exists to build and cultivate strong relationships with supporters by partnering with them to achieve their philanthropic interests with the goal of increasing support for TFAS’ work to educate students in free-market economics, the ideals of liberty, and honorable leadership.
The Director of Strategic Donor Communications is responsible for overseeing and managing all aspects of The Fund for American Studies’ donor communications strategy, including but not limited to, the direct mail program, email updates and fundraising, President’s Office letters, and other external facing donor communications. In conjunction with the Chief Development Officer, this role will be responsible for developing a strategic plan encompassing all donor communications in order to create a compelling, effective, and impactful donor messaging program. The ideal Director will be innovative and entrepreneurial. He/she will constantly seek ways to do things better and create exceptional experiences for TFAS donors in order to increase their connection to, and investment in, our work.
- Working collaboratively with Chief Development Officer and the Marketing and Communications department, develop and implement all internal and external communication strategies, including the following:
- Direct mail fundraising
- Email fundraising
- Event marketing
- Donor Communications
- Create and manage a strategic plan to increase the TFAS donor base and our growing development efforts through prospecting and other channels.
- Oversee and manage all vendors related to direct marketing, digital marketing, and other channels of donor communications.
- Develop and create compelling content and messaging for donor communications including President’s Office letter, monthly TFAS Talk email, quarterly donor newsletters, and others as needed.
- Work with the President and Chief Development Officer to prepare and send correspondence for executive-level donor visits and meetings
- Consult with Communications and Marketing to ensure media relations plans/efforts have maximum possible impact on donor brand recognition and leverage earned media efforts in targeted fundraising markets.
- Oversee creation of new development messaging and marketing products in partnership with internal marketing staff and creative design vendors as needed
- Some oversight and management of development operations staff
- Travel may rarely be required
Skills and Qualifications
- Passion for and alignment with the mission of The Fund for American Studies
- Minimum of 5 + years of experience in fundraising donor communications and direct marketing
- Knowledge of social/digital media marketing, as well as experience with web-strategies preferred
- Ability to effectively work under pressure, use independent judgment and produce a quality work product within tight time constraints
- Demonstrated success in managing fundraising/marketing campaigns and crafting compelling messaging
- An obsessive desire to win; you are frustrated with complacency
- Ability to anticipate challenges, take initiative and provide solutions to achieve department and organization objectives
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite; familiarity with Raiser’s Edge and RE NXT or comparable CRM software strongly preferred
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position/the mission of TFAS and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.