State Policy Network is a coalition of 64 state think tanks representing all 50 states, over 66 state allied organizations in key capacities (like litigation, journalism, and advocacy), and more than 90 national partners, all dedicated to the principles of liberty and federalism. SPN exists to make these organizations better, faster, and stronger than if each worked alone. The power of the Network is in scaling critical state and local solutions, so they spread from state to state, leading to national impact.
About the Director of Policy Initiatives Opening
SPN is seeking a Director of Policy Initiatives. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has a passion for sound public policy that helps American families, communities, and businesses thrive. The ideal candidate has at least 5 years of experience managing a program or team with a focus on advancing policy reforms on the state level. The right person for this role will be a strategic thinker, an exceptional communicator, and an adept relationship builder.
The role requires someone dedicated to helping state-based policy organizations advance crucial fiscal, regulatory, energy, and healthcare policy reforms, partnering with those organizations to support their efforts and helping them succeed. The ideal candidate will be able to develop advocacy strategies, manage a team of contractors, and work with diverse coalition partners.
The Director of Policy Initiatives will report to the Vice President of Programs and will be on a team of 12 individuals while managing 3 direct reports.
This role includes a competitive salary commensurate with experience, plus benefits. Much of SPN’s staff are remote and this position is eligible to work remotely from a virtual office anywhere in the United States.
- Oversee SPN’s energy, fiscal, and healthcare policy reform initiatives. This includes building and facilitating SPN’s policy working group, as well as managing SPN’s energy, fiscal, and healthcare policy fellows that serve the working group.
- Seek out the best policy reforms, share best practices, connect reformers, and advise on advocacy strategies. This will include working with reform coalitions to evaluate policy needs and policy solutions and working alongside those coalitions to develop and implement strategies to secure lasting reforms.
- Manage and grow SPN’s states solutions grant program. This includes advising affiliates on grant opportunities, serving on grant decision committees, and providing grantees with follow-up assistance as needed.
- Ideate and develop new programs and projects that serve SPN affiliates in pursuit of energy, healthcare, and fiscal policy reforms. This includes soliciting ideas from the working group and turning those ideas into funded and executable projects.
The ideal candidate will be a service-oriented, self-starter, who is able to share public acclaim for a job well done. We seek the following skills and experience:
- 5+ years of experience in state policy advocacy, coalition building, outreach or issue-based campaigns, or program management
- Passion for SPN’s mission
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and motivate partners in a fast-paced environment
- Strong facilitation, communication, and relationship skills
- Familiarity with state-based organizations and the state legislative process
- The position will require 25-30% (or more) travel and will be dependent on the candidate’s location (most travel will be to Washington, DC)
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter explaining why you are qualified for this position, why you believe in free enterprise, your interest in SPN’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Lydia Ocampo, Outreach Manager of Talent Market, who is managing the search process: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.