The Franklin News Foundation supports and funds public-interest journalism at the state and local levels. Franklin is dedicated to the principles of transparency, accountability and fiscal responsibility through our newswire, The Center Square. Our journalists highlight the presence and absence of fiscal responsibility in government through reporting that is objective, balanced, citizen and tax-payer focused, and moves rapidly within the daily news cycle. Our work allows all readers to understand the impact and importance of governmental issues in their own backyard.
About the Role
Franklin News Foundation is seeking a dynamic individual who can build new relationships and find new major gift supporters. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who loves the challenge of creating a brand-new relationship, enjoys managing systems and structures, and who can be persistent and disciplined in pursuing a goal.
The Donor Outreach Manager will manage FNF’s prospecting strategy and process with the goal of implementing a system that continually brings new donors into the organization, especially major donors. He or she will be able to put their best ideas to the test for how to generate promising leads, research potential donors, create the initial touch points with them, and convert them into long-term financial partners.
The Donor Outreach Manager will not be responsible for procuring major gifts, but he or she will work hand-in-hand with FNF’s leadership to set him/her up for success in key meetings with new donor prospects.
An ideal candidate will have three to five years of relevant experience and a track record of successfully marketing an organization to high capacity financial partners or investors. He or she will be persistent and professional—willing to keep working on a relationship even when it doesn’t immediately bear fruit, or when there is initial rejection. He or she will enjoy research and have no fear of making introductory calls or meeting new people at events.
The Donor Outreach Manager will also be responsible for creating great giving experiences for our new donors and reports to the Foundation’s Development Director. This full-time position can be based in either our Chicago, IL headquarters or in a virtual office.
Culture and Fit
Success at FNF depends not only on a person’s skills, but also on their ability to fit the culture of FNF. If you answer “yes” to all the following questions, then you may be a fit for the team if your skill sets match the requirements below. The vast majority of those who don’t get hired or don’t last at FNF are due to a lack of fit with these values, so they really matter. Be prepared to have very candid conversations about them in our interview process.
- Do you wholeheartedly agree with our mission, vision and values (see FNF website for a full description), and the underlying principles that a free market creates greater freedom and equality than any command-and-control government system?
- Do you tend to be the one who initiates conversations with colleagues, rather than waiting for them to come to you?
- Do you seize opportunities to try new things or improve a skill that’s relevant to your company or role?
- Are you able to build meaningful relationships (creating trust) with people you only see face-to-face a few times a year?
- Are you aware of your strengths and weaknesses, and do you have a practice of getting help from others to mitigate your weaknesses?
- Does it bother you if others take all the credit for the work you do?
- Use research to develop and coordinate outreach to prospective major gift supporters.
- Reach out to high-value prospects to build initial relationships
- Educate prospects about FNF and determine their level of interest
- Set up meetings for FNF leadership with qualified prospects
- Manage follow-up from initial meetings, including submission of proposals (writing support is available from other staff)
- Work with Development Director to coordinate outreach to current and prospective supporters
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Sales oriented approach to connecting with individuals through email and the telephone
- Experience with personal sales and fundraising is strongly preferred
- Familiarity with marketing and sales platforms; experience with Salesforce is desirable, but not essential
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially on the telephone
- Strong writing skills
- Strong organization skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Strong commitment to the principles of individual liberty and free enterprise
FNF offers salary and benefits that are very competitive and are commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this position, relevant training and experience, and salary requirements
- 3 professional references with contact information for each
- Date available for work
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.