School Choice Wisconsin (SCW) is the leading organization in education in support of legislation, parents, and expansion of School Choice in the state of Wisconsin. The mission of SCW is to empower parents by developing, supporting, and promoting the ideas and policies that create vibrant and high-quality K-12 education options in Wisconsin.
Founded in 2004, SCW built on the pioneering work that created the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program. SCW led successful efforts to enact three additional programs, helped parents and schools navigate their implementation, and defended parental freedom to choose by fending off persistent efforts to damage or eliminate the programs with legislation, regulatory overreach, and legal challenges.
SCW sees major opportunities to expand parent choice as the demands of the pandemic demonstrate to parents the value of educational options. We believe the potential for expanding parental options, encouraging innovation, and improving our base of support from major donors has never been greater. The Development Director will play a major role in taking advantage of these unprecedented opportunities.
Reporting to the President, the Director of Development will be responsible for building a department that can achieve aggressive growth in revenues. The successful candidate will possess a deep commitment to SCW’s goal of educational options for all parents and a firm belief that an education marketplace that treats parents as customers is the best way to achieve that goal.
The Director will focus primarily on creating and executing a strategy to identify, cultivate, and steward support from major donors who make gifts of at least $5,000. Additionally, the Director is responsible for the success of individual giving campaigns and all fundraising efforts. The Director maintains relationships with and solicits gifts from individuals, families, donor advised funds, private foundations, and small businesses. The Director is responsible for donor prospecting (utilizing wealth screening software, events, and other means) to find new potential donors and propose strategies for solicitation of major gifts.
Working with the President, the Director of Development guides the Development Department’s expansion and administration of fundraising events/appeals, the planned giving program, an employer matching gift program, and other fundraising campaigns deemed appropriate. The Director of Development keeps records of all meetings and donations, tracks the frequency and efficacy of the department’s efforts to do the same, and supports the President and volunteers with prospecting and the scheduling of meetings. At meetings and events, the Director and President will work in tandem to make presentations, as appropriate for the audience.
Finally, the Development Director coordinates and provides consistent communication to supporters that highlights the results of their investment and casts a bold vision for the future.
The Director of Development be will based in SCW’s Brookfield office. We will also consider exceptional candidates who need to work virtually from elsewhere in Wisconsin.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Engage in prospecting activity, with initial focus on the Northeastern region of WI.
- Maintain an active portfolio of prospects for cultivation and solicitation.
- Set annual and campaign-specific goals with President and lead/build the Development Department to achieve them.
- Maintain comprehensive calendar of development activities and grant deadlines.
- Set goals, write project proposals, and prepare grant reports, with support from the President and SCW staff as appropriate.
- Motivate current donors through consistent communication, including the preparation of quarterly newsletters and regular emails, and offer regular personal briefings to key foundation staff
- Utilize CRM to maintain relations with donors and monitor for potential lapsing donors
- Attend SCW events as appropriate, including internet-based donor events.
- 60% regional travel expected, primarily day trips.
Measure of Effectiveness
Significant increase in fundraising revenue, significant increase in communication to current donors, and increase in contacts to prospects that expands and diversifies donor base.
- A full commitment to the principles of School Choice Wisconsin
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in a fundraising capacity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Office365 ideal, but not necessary
- Ability to manage and work well with others in-person and virtually
- Ability to work hours outside of 8:00 AM-4:00 PM
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest advancing SCWs mission, your salary requirements, and your geographical preferences
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.