The Public Interest Legal Foundation is seeking a Director of Development to help take the organization to the next level. This is a new position that will oversee the development operations of the organizations with a focus on major gifts. The Director will be responsible for identifying and cultivating donors and prospects; developing donor cultivation strategies; tracking and managing relationship-building activities; and soliciting major gifts either individually or with the President.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for someone to help take an established organization to the next level of financial success. The ideal candidate will be an entrepreneurial, action-oriented professional with strong writing and presentation skills. S/he must be able to take initiative and follow through with minimal supervision and demonstrate integrity, sound judgement, and tact.
The Director of Development reports to the President. This full-time position will be based in our Indianapolis headquarters or our Washington, DC area office (located in Alexandria, VA). Exceptional candidates who want to work virtually from another location will also be considered.
- Oversee the development operations of the organization with a focus on major gifts cultivation
- Work closely with the organization’s long-time fundraising consultant, President, and other key team members to advance the development operations
- Identify, cultivate and solicit individual donors and prospects either individually or with the President
- Develop individual and foundation donor cultivation strategies
- Track and manage relationship-building activities; oversee the identification and implementation of new donor database with the assistance of key staff members
- Work closely with the organization’s fundraising consultant to grow foundation support
- Work closely with the organization’s fundraising consultant and direct mail vendor to take full advantage of the organization’s direct mail program
- Write donor correspondence such as grant updates and thank you letters
- 5+ years of experience in fundraising, preferably with a free-market oriented nonprofit organization
- Donor relations/major gifts experience strongly preferred
- Ability to travel up to 30% when regular travel resumes
- Solid project and people management skills
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills
- Interest and experience with legal issues, or willingness to jump in and learn
- Deep curiosity in public policy and politics, and an interest in learning more about election law
- Ability to translate internal ideas, metrics and strategies into easy-to-understand and compelling language for donor audiences
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities and follow through
- Commitment to the mission of PILF
About the Public Interest Legal Foundation
PILF is a public interest law firm dedicated to election integrity and safeguarding the arrangement whereby states run their own elections. The organization is a pioneer in litigation strategies to foster clean and honest elections, an advocate for the proper balance between state and federal oversight of elections and data driven analysis of voter fraud and election vulnerabilities. The organization brings lawsuits to enforce federal and state election laws designed to ensure that only legal votes are counted.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your philosophical interest advancing PILF’s mission, your salary requirements, and your geographical preferences
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.