Mountain States Legal Foundation seeks a Director of Communications for immediate hire. MSLF is a nonprofit, public interest legal foundation dedicated to individual liberty, the right to own and use property, limited and ethical government, and the free enterprise system.
Key to our work is the communications staff that advances our mission and principles in the public discourse within the Mountain West and throughout the nation. We are a small team of dedicated professionals. As such, our communications staff is a critical part of MSLF’s team and should possess the passion, commitment, and strategic vision needed to drive our mission to new heights.
The Communications Director will help turn active cases and policy ideas into compelling messages and deliver them to target audiences, including donors, elected and appointed officials, and grassroots citizen activists. This position is integral to the success of MSLF and requires an entrepreneurial person who enjoys both the art and the craft of effective communication and who shares MSLF’s principles. This position needs to be in the thick of things. Therefore, the successful applicant must be located in, or willing to relocate to, Denver.
The Director of Communications reports to the Director of Operations.
- Develop MSLF’s media and communications plan
- Work regularly with MSLF’s leadership and legal staff to develop and implement case-specific communications plans and actions
- Manage day-to-day social media efforts, including content publishing and community management, with the assistance of the Communications Manager
- Manage website content
- Manage editorial calendar
- Assist with email marketing efforts, including list management and email formatting
- Assist with media outreach as needed
- Monitor news coverage related to MSLF
Qualifications & Skills
- Experience: 5-7 years of experience in communications or marketing, including but not limited to social media, email marketing, writing, and media relations.
- Creativity: willingness and capacity to search out and think up new ideas to solve problems and meet objectives, both individually and as part of a team.
- Demonstrable leadership experience in the communications field.
- Written Communications: demonstrable command of the English language, including the ability to write and edit engaging and effective prose for the general public (writing samples required).
- Technical Skills: minimum requirements include familiarity with Microsoft Outlook and Word, as well as common social media platforms. Experience with content management systems and MailChimp is preferred.
- A broad range of active contact in numerous media outlets.
- A passion for liberty and enthusiasm for the preservation of property rights.
Salary range: Compensation will be based on experience and will be competitive within MSLF’s sector and region. The compensation package includes health and dental benefits, vacation and personal days, a retirement plan, plus more.
Mountain States Legal Foundation is a nonprofit, public interest law firm, focused on defending the constitution, protecting property rights, and advancing economic liberty. From our headquarters in Colorado, we litigate crucial cases in the mountain west and beyond—at zero cost to our clients—all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary.
You may be amazed to learn that the government now owns 47 percent of the land in the American West. Additionally, there are countless regulations controlling citizens’ lives, including where and when they can hunt or fish, run their farms, ranches, and businesses—even limiting how private citizens can use their own land.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing:
- your salary requirements
- why you are interested in the position, MSLF’s mission, and how your experience and background will ensure success
- your interest in relocating to Denver metro area
- Writing sample
- References are appreciated but not required
- Cover letter detailing:
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.