The Digital Marketing Director is responsible for creating, managing and using digital platforms to deliver FGA’s policy content and messages to prospective and current members of our key audiences. The director will track how we engage with the audiences, ensure all platforms are linked and used appropriately, keep audience lists up-to-date and segmented as needed, and analyze results to improve our strategies. They will educate the rest of FGA’s team about audience insights and the best practices for impact.
The ideal candidate has 5-7 years of relevant experience and a track record of successfully connecting key audiences with relevant content. They view complex streams of data as an exciting challenge rather than a confusing obstacle. They take initiative to create solutions and enjoy linking the right target to the right content and watching the results roll in. They have demonstrated an ability to partner with peers to accomplish big goals that they couldn’t have done on their own.
The successful candidate will also have a track record of managing a team well, as they will oversee a growing team of staff and outside agencies. However, this role will also require a lot of hands-on work, not just managing a team.
CULTURE AND FIT
Success at FGA depends not only on a person’s skills, but also on their ability to fit the culture of FGA. If you answer “yes” to all the following questions, then you may be a fit for the team if your skill sets match the requirements below. The vast majority of those who don’t get hired or don’t last at FGA are due to a lack of fit with these values, so they really matter. Be prepared to have very candid conversations about them in our interview process.
- Do you wholeheartedly agree with the policies that we advocate (see thefga.org for a full description), and the underlying principles that people’s lives are made better through work, not government welfare, and that a free market creates greater freedom and equality than any command-and-control government system?
- Do you agree that embracing the realities of politics is necessary to have success in changing public policy?
- Do you tend to be the one who initiates conversations with colleagues, rather than waiting for them to come to you?
- Does it motivate you to think about working with a team of world-class professionals who are held to a very high standard of getting results?
- Do you seize opportunities to try new things or improve a skill that’s relevant to your company or role?
- Are you able to build meaningful relationships (creating trust) with people you only see face-to-face a few times a year?
- Do you tend to lead teams by creating clarity about goals and progress, rather than proscribing the steps they need to take?
- Does it bother you if others take all the credit for the work you do?
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Digital Marketing Director will have three primary roles: 1) to create and own the strategy, priority and structure of FGA’s digital platforms and the distribution of content on those platforms; and 2) to build and protect the quality of FGA’s brand on all digital platforms, and 3) to provide leadership, management and accountability for his or her team.
These roles break down into a number of responsibilities. Some of the key responsibilities are:
- Develop successful content distribution strategy
- Ensure the integrity of the FGA brand is maintained in all digital outputs
- Facilitate the creation of digital marketing campaigns around new policy issues and areas
- Manage the back-end of FGAs social media accounts, including but not limited to: advertising, audience development and targeting, geofencing, business manager account management, and more.
- As ads are requested, work with Government Affairs Directors and project leads to identify audiences, timelines, and desired outcomes. When ads are complete, report back on results and lessons learned.
- Determine how existing databases and tools can be used to improve Facebook and Twitter engagement with our key audiences.
- Manage back-end of Pardot and MailChimp email system for FGA and OSP, including:
- Maintenance and development of audiences and lists
- Develop systems for testing to improve open and click-through performance
- Regular reporting of results by audience to key stakeholders
Digital Advertising and Analytics/Vendor Management
- Manage Google AdWords and YouTube for Nonprofits nonprofit grant funds for highest possible yield
- Manage Google Analytics to determine what content, messages, and media are getting the most attention and work with the team to apply those results to our broader marketing efforts and generate additional content in those areas.
- Manage and improve OSP and FGA web properties’ SEO and monitor trends for potential growth.
Data Management, Testing, and General Processes
- Participate in the back-end management of event registration and outreach systems with the events team to improve attendance at our marquee events.
- Ensure social media, website, media tracking, and email systems are connected to our data tracking dashboards and that those dashboards are up to date and reported on quarterly, examining trends and other lessons learned.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience with a track record of successfully connecting key audiences with relevant content.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, Salesforce, and Mailchimp
- Preference for experience in social media management applications such as Social Studio or Pardot
- An understanding of policy and the political system
- A deep appreciation and alignment with FGA’s philosophy and mission
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION
FGA’s staff work remotely, therefore the location for this position is flexible. Some travel will be required, likely 5-6 trips per year. FGA offers salary and benefits that are very competitive, including a health benefit and generous paid leave plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- cover letter detailing your interest in the position and the organization’s mission and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.