Pacific Legal Foundation—the nation’s first and most successful public interest law firm dedicated to vindicating individual liberty—seeks an energetic and innovative development researcher to organize and manage a prospective donor pipeline to grow PLF’s donor base and financial resources.
About the Role
The Development Research Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a process to identify prospective supporters, in order to generate increased support for PLF. The Development Research Manager reports to the Director of Annual Giving and Stewardship.
The primary job duties are as follows:
- Use research tools to identify prospective individuals and foundations who have the affinity and capacity to support Pacific Legal Foundation
- Manage the research pipeline to facilitate acquisitions, renewals, and upgrades among current and prospective donors
- Based on research, determine the appropriate stewardship track for new donors
- Work with the Director of Annual Giving and Stewardship and Director of Donor Relations to develop appropriate donor strategies and prioritization based on research
- Manage the dissemination of research to appropriate development officers, including creating a process for assigning, reviewing, and disqualifying potential prospects
- Prepare individual research and background profiles for development officers and leadership as requested
- Oversee the strategic use of analytics data to implement effective segmentation of qualified prospects for the Annual Giving and Major Giving teams
- Continually review and improve research processes based on results and feedback from Development colleagues
- Maintain accurate and timely data information in Raiser’s Edge
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2-4 years experience in prospect research or development
- Ability to manage multiple projects with varying timelines
- Organizational skills to prioritize workload
- Strong attention to detail
- Judgement and discretion in handling sensitive donor information
- Ability to work well with every component at PLF, across several offices; a track record of working productively and collaboratively in team settings
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Adherence to and knowledge of the principles of liberty
- Previous work with Raiser’s Edge and/or ResearchPoint are a definite plus
About Pacific Legal Foundation
PLF identifies and litigates important legal issues to set landmark precedents that will benefit Americans nationwide. Using strategic and principled litigation, communications, and research, we battle for freedom in the nation’s courts and the court of public opinion. Our attorneys have ten victories before the U.S. Supreme Court—a record unmatched by anyone in the liberty movement—plus additional cases currently before the High Court with decisions pending. Simply put, we know how to get cases to the Supreme Court and we know how to win.
If you share our passion to vindicate the principles of freedom and individual liberty, you should be a part of PLF, no matter where you live. A national nonprofit organization, PLF has offices in Sacramento, California; Arlington, Virginia; Palm Beach Gardens, Florida; and Bellevue, Washington. We prefer that the Development Research Manager work from our Arlington, VA, office, but outstanding candidates may also work in other offices or virtually from home.
This is a full-time, permanent position. PLF is committed to recruiting and retaining the highest quality talent available nationwide, and we offer a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, medical and dental insurance, and employer-paid retirement savings. We take work-life balance seriously through our generous paid leave and flextime policies. We have a flexible, collaborative, positive, and collegial work environment. We take pride in investing in your future and encourage internal advancement. PLF is the place for someone principled, tenacious, and determined to succeed in positively shaping the future of our country and restoring real limits on government power.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Resume – The resume should have the usual: your experience in the liberty movement, your professional experience, as well as your academic credentials.
- Cover letter – The cover letter should explain why PLF is the place for you, why you want to fight for liberty, and what distinguishes you from typical applicants. Please also include your salary requirements.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Katy Ranville, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.