The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) supports and partners with professors to promote the teaching and research of classical liberal ideas and to advance higher education’s core purpose of intellectual discovery and human progress. Our vision is to ensure higher education becomes a place where classical liberal ideas are regularly taught, discussed, challenged, and developed, and where free speech, intellectual diversity, and open inquiry flourish.
Each year IHS provides professors and graduate students with various forms of career assistance, including mentoring, placement recommendations, and career development seminars. We also award more than $1 million in scholarships to graduate students. Through on-campus programs, IHS promotes the study of liberty across a broad range of disciplines, encouraging understanding, open inquiry, rigorous scholarship, and creative problem-solving.
About this position:
IHS is looking for an experienced, talented, and philosophically committed marketing professional to join our fundraising team. Ideal candidates see publications and marketing as their craft and relish the opportunity to create compelling and eye catching materials for donors. The Development Marketing Manager will be a creative, ideas person and will be assisted by writers and graphic designers. This person will be adept at producing high-quality publications and digital content. He or she will thrive in a collaborative environment and be comfortable with constructive feedback. The ideal candidate will also have a deep philosophical appreciation for classical liberal thought and for advancing the ideas of freedom in America’s colleges and universities.
The Development Marketing Manager works closely with and reports to the Director of Development Communications. Our office is located in Arlington, VA, but we will consider candidates who prefer to work virtually, provided they are able to make periodic trips to the office.
- Create and oversee the creation of communications and marketing materials that will motivate and inform donors, both editorial and design, including newsletters, event invitations, website content, etc.
- Interact with program, finance, and metric teams to gather information that will engage and excite donors. For instance, seek out program staff to identify specific stories about faculty and how their work is making an impact.
- Coordinate with graphic designers and printers to produce aesthetically sophisticated materials.
- Conduct an inventory of development material needs, creating a priority schedule of materials needing updating or creation.
- Work with multiple teams within IHS including development, marketing, and senior leaders to ensure brand consistency and quality control across all development materials.
- Make sure the Development Team has the correct resources to create high quality materials (e.g., photos and updated good stories).
- 5+ years of professional experience in publications, communications, marketing, or a related field.
- A motivating appreciation for the mission and work of the Institute for Humane Studies.
- Demonstrated and superior editorial and messaging skills with a strong eye for design.
- A proven ability to work independently, accept and give constructive feedback, and prioritize and manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail, including editing skills.
- Experience with or an understanding of content management systems (e.g., WordPress), Google Analytics, Canva, Visme, Photoshop, InDesign, and Salesforce is a plus.
- Preferred experience includes: at least five years of experience creating marketing materials with a nonprofit organization.
We have a flexible, professional, open office environment that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship and provides substantial opportunity for professional growth. Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. IHS provides exceptional benefits to all employees, including health and dental insurance coverage (which includes paying 100% of the health and dental insurance premium for individuals), health savings accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit and 12 free tuition credit hours annually at George Mason University.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter, which should detail your philosophical interest in the mission of IHS and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.