The Tax Foundation is the nation’s leading independent tax policy nonprofit. Since 1937, our principled research, insightful analysis, and engaged experts have informed smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels. For over 80 years, our goal has remained the same: to improve lives through tax policies that lead to greater economic growth and opportunity. We use our research and analysis to bring tax changes to the national spotlight, foster competition among the states, and advise policymakers on how to improve their tax systems.
Tax Foundation seeks a self-motivated writer who enjoys communicating through the written word and excels at using engaging stories to inform people about issues that matter to their daily lives. The ideal candidate will have a background in drafting narrative-driven marketing communications to different subsets of audiences.
The Development Writer will report to the Vice President of Development but will work also closely with the President and Marketing Team.
The Development Writer’s day-to-day responsibilities will be solely focused on the creative side of fundraising. They will not be expected to manage logistical necessities.
The Development Writer can work from Tax Foundation’s Washington, DC office or from a virtual office elsewhere in the country.
- Work with the President and Vice President of Development to tell make Tax Foundation’s story accessible to donors through the written word
- Assist the Marketing Team with drafting and producing all regular and semi-regular donor marketing communications, including the annual report, quarterly impact reports, fundraising emails, letters from the President, and event promotions
- Draft all grant proposals, reports, and other documents for foundations and individual major donors
- Draft all Development department informational pieces, including brochures and project/initiative primers
- Working with the Vice President of Development, review and maintain the annual foundations proposal calendar to ensure all deadlines are adhered to and all required reporting necessities are met
- Draft various one-time communications to individual donors including responses to inquiries
- Coordinate with the Marketing Team to monitor all outgoing communications and make suggestions for any that would have crossover appeal to donors
Desired Experience and Skill Sets
- 5+ years of experience in persuasive, narrative-driven writing
- Experience working for liberty-oriented organizations and experience communicating with liberty-oriented donors a plus
- Strongly aligned with Tax Foundation mission to build a pro-growth tax code based upon the principles of simplicity, neutrality, transparency, and stability
- Proven ability to distill complex information into easy-to-understand, persuasive narratives
- Project management skills with ability to multitask and independently prioritize an evolving task list
- Strong adherence to deadline-driven work
- Ability to coordinate multiple teams and staff members needed to complete individual projects
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite of products
- Proficiency in MailChimp or other email marketing utilities desired
- Proficiency in Salesforce desired
Why Work at Tax Foundation?
At the Tax Foundation you can educate the public, elevate public discourse, and improve public policy, all while having fun! In addition, Tax Foundation offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage with employer contributions, a 401(k) retirement plan with 100% match on first 5%, and we cover 100% of the premiums for dental and vision coverage and life/AD&D/LTD insurance. We offer 12 paid holidays and 15 vacation days per year and generous sick leave, plus our office is closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. We also offer casual and early-release Fridays. The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter, which should detail your philosophical interest in the mission of the Tax Foundation and your salary requirements
- Two writing samples that illustrate your ability to engage audiences via persuasive story-telling
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.