State Policy Network is seeking a Senior Development Officer or Development Officer to join our team. This position is ideal for a pro-liberty, entrepreneurial candidate with experience in growing long term, sustainable relationships with philanthropists. This role advances SPN’s mission and strategic objectives by working closely with donors to align their goals with SPN’s mission.
The Senior Development Officer/Development Officer will report directly to our Vice President of Development and will be responsible for the results of his/her major gifts portfolio which will include a mix of current donors and prospects.
SPN is open to considering a more senior development professional with 10+ years of fundraising experience or a more junior development professional with 2-3+ years of experience who can grow into the role. No matter the level of experience, SPN wants someone who hustles and gets things done.
This position can be based in SPN’s Arlington, VA headquarters or in a virtual office.
Manage a major gifts portfolio: Responsible for developing and managing a moves management strategy for a portfolio of 100+/- donors and prospects with the capacity to make gifts of $25K+. Territory may be nationwide.
- Increase SPN’s fundraising capacity through the successful qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individuals having the capacity to make gifts of $25K and above
- Work to creatively match donor interests with institutional priorities
- Develop funding proposals and structure complex gifts, including planned gifts
- Prepare briefings, stewardship plans/letters and other correspondence for prospects, collaborating with staff as needed
- Motivate and support leadership and volunteers to solicit gifts when appropriate
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of SPN’s funding priorities
- For the Senior Development Officer, 5-10+ years of fundraising experience with a primary focus on closing major gifts ($25,000+). For the Development Officer, 2-3+ years of major gifts experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong interest in advancing State Policy Network’s mission and impact
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable using email as a primary communication tool
- A team player that can work in a fast-paced, high volume environment in professional manner
- Understands how to balance the “independent team sport” dynamic of fundraising
- An entrepreneurial spirit, strong work ethic, and capacity to prioritize and balance multiple projects and effectively and meet deadlines
- Strong analytical skills, organizational skills, and superb attention to detail
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel and Outlook (advanced Excel knowledge or experience with Salesforce a plus)
This is a full-time position. In a post COVID-19 world, this position includes 50% travel. In the meantime, the new hire will begin working virtually and ramp up to traveling once it becomes safe to do so.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing:
- your interest in the position/SPN’s mission,
- salary requirements,
- in-office or virtual office location preference, and
- travel availability
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream- job/.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
SPN is an equal-opportunity employer. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.