The Tax Foundation is the nation’s leading independent tax policy nonprofit. Since 1937, our principled research, insightful analysis, and engaged experts have informed smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels. For 85 years, our goal has remained the same: to improve lives through tax policies that lead to greater economic growth and opportunity. We use our research and analysis to bring tax changes to the national spotlight, foster competition among the states, and advise policymakers on how to improve their tax systems.
The Tax Foundation seeks a Donor Engagement Manager to establish and manage the organization’s giving society and to cultivate increased levels of annual giving donor engagement. 50 percent of responsibilities pertain to strategy and management and 50 percent pertain to execution of those strategies. The day-to-day responsibilities will be focused on actions that increase engagement of annual giving individual donors, as measured by two-way contact between the donor and Tax Foundation, as well as by financial investment. This role will manage a new giving society, including targeted events and marketing.
The Donor Engagement Manager will report to the Vice President of Development and work closely with the organization’s policy and marketing teams. This position can work from Tax Foundation’s Washington, DC office or from a virtual office elsewhere in the country. Travel to investor meetings and events, as well as the Tax Foundation offices will be required, at approximately 20%.
Team Roles & Program Strategy
- Collaborates with the Vice President of Development and Director of Major Gifts to design and implement leadership annual giving strategies to contribute to the annual Development team revenue target and future goals
- Collaborates with the Vice President of Development to develop systems for measuring and tracking engagement across the portfolio
- Works with policy staff to understand funding needs and opportunities; and works with marketing staff to translate those opportunities into appropriate communications targeted toward the society members
- In partnership with the Vice President of Development, sets program and individual metrics and monitoring norms
- Stays current on funding and philanthropic trends
Donor Stewardship and Engagement
- Actively manages a stewardship portfolio of ~150 donors in cultivation for lead annual giving
- Proactively identifies and qualifies individuals/households within a prospecting portfolio, including working to upgrade identified society members
- Works with Direct Mail program on messaging and copy to ensure a unified message
- Facilitates relationships with other development staff when appropriate, primarily the Director of Major Gifts when a society member is also a major gift prospect
- Actively seeks data-driven insights and program improvements to increase donor engagement
- Produces and/or project manages the events and collateral used to drive increased engagement
- Produces periodic targeted events & updates for the donor portfolio, in partnership with marketing & communications
- Coordinates with Marketing and Communications on relevant collateral
- Coordinates with Marketing and Communications and other development interests on topics and language for giving society mailings
Internal Systems & Capacity-Building
- Maintains standard operating procedures for CRM and document storage
- Utilizes CRM and other platforms to streamline and automate work where possible
- Integrates investor relations activities and strategies into broader organization initiatives
- 2-3 years of experience in relationship development, which may include development work at a nonprofit organization, work for a candidate or political committee, or other applicable experience in the for-profit sector
- Strong project management skills and comfort with managing multiple concurrent lines of work
- Interest in developing data sets and using them to refine programs
- Personal commitment to Tax Foundation’s mission
- Excellent communication skills across platforms
- Drive to take initiative, track personal progress, and meet individual goals
- Willingness to work in a CRM-driven environment, where “if it isn’t in Salesforce, it didn’t happen” is the rule
- Creativity and a problem-solving mindset
- Familiarity with moves management fundraising and donor research tools
- Desire to be part of a high-performing team
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your interest in the Tax Foundations mission, why you are qualified for this position, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Lydia Ocampo, Outreach Specialist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.