About the Independent Institute:
The Independent Institute is a non-profit, non-partisan, public-policy research and educational organization that shapes ideas into lasting impact through publications, conferences, and effective multi-media programs. Our mission is boldly to advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies that are grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. Applying independent thinking to issues that matter, we create transformational ideas for today’s most pressing social and economic challenges.
About the Director of Development Opening:
The Independent Institute is seeking an experienced, successful Development professional with a commitment to the principles of individual liberty and free societies to lead our fundraising program and lay the financial foundation to take Independent to the next level. We see great opportunity ahead in furthering our programs and extending the reach and impact of liberty across all age groups and around the world, and are looking for someone who is energized by the opportunity to work with our team to attract the resources needed to achieve our ambitious shared goals.
Major operational responsibilities include the following:
- Personally lead Major Gifts efforts, building strong relationships with our donors
- Expand and diversify our donor base by identifying new donors and retaining existing ones
- Travel 30% to meet with donors
- Provide oversight to Foundations, house file and prospecting activities
- Create annual development plan and track achievement relative to that plan
- Direct and grow a high-performing development department and develop its staff (currently a Development Officer and Development Coordinator) to maximize their potential
- Increase the fruitfulness of our events; and
- Identify and pursue new opportunities
- An understanding of and commitment to the principles of individual liberty and free societies. Our donors are well-informed and committed to liberty, and you must be able to converse with them fluently
- 5+ years of demonstrated fundraising experience and increased responsibility, preferably in the free-market policy realm
- Experience in creating and successfully implementing plans, including collaborating with and directing others in their achievements
- Success in cultivating major donor relationships, including foundations
- Flawless, polished oral and written communication skills
- Appropriate educational credentials are a plus (e.g., B.A. and/or M.A. in marketing or policy)
- Ability and willingness to travel 30% to meet with donors
- Planned giving experience a plus
For 36 years, Independent Institute has successfully pursued our mission of boldly advancing peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. We are a highly entrepreneurial culture and environment, producing results and impact that far outsize our budget, and have one of the strongest social media presences of any policy group. We have:
- A loyal, stable donor base, which supports our publications and events, educational websites, video programs, and traditional and social media outreach
- A team of highly dedicated, mission-focused professionals and committed support staff
- Esteemed boards of directors and advisors who generously support the organization
- A dynamic working environment in well-appointed offices
- Rigorous strategic planning and management practices
This full-time position is based in our Oakland, California headquarters, though a virtual office arrangement will be considered. A virtual hire would need to travel to the Oakland office quarterly. While we seek a Director of Development, we also welcome inquiries from those seeking a higher-level appointment, and from others whose experience would not yet warrant an appointment at the Director level.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Your resume
- A cover letter detailing your interest in the position, your alignment with the Independent Institute’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.