About Garden State Initiative:
Garden State Initiative (GSI) is a nonpartisan research and educational organization that develops practical free-market solutions to address the fiscal challenges facing New Jersey. We work with the public, policymakers, and partners throughout the state to promote sustainable, effective policies to grow our economy and improve NJ’s affordability for today and tomorrow. We stand with job creators big and small, entrepreneurs, and hard-working citizens to help make their voices heard in the policy debate at GSI sponsored Policy Forums, media interviews or commentary, social and traditional media, as well as the publication of research reports.
About the Position:
Building from our first two years in operation and development successes, the Development Director will help take GSI to the next level of financial success and impact.
As an individual contributor and member of GSI’s leadership, this position is responsible for identifying, qualifying, engaging, soliciting, and stewarding large prospective donors capable of giving major gifts over time, and for engaging and soliciting prospective donors capable of major gifts. The Development Director will also work closely with vendors managing our direct mail program and other administrative development duties. While the Development Director will be the only development team member to start, there may be opportunities to grow the team over time as the organization grows.
The Development Director reports to the GSI President. The Development Director may work from GSI’s Morristown office, from a virtual office in NJ, or a combination of both.
- Developing and implementing a multi-year strategic, comprehensive plan with overarching, measurable goals and specific measurable goals for each aspect of the program
- Meeting agreed upon goals; monitoring progress and reporting monthly on progress against goals; analyzing trends and making adjustments throughout the year
- Developing and implementing a written plan for identifying, qualifying, engaging, soliciting, and stewarding potential donors capable of major gifts
- Managing a portfolio of larger donors and prospective donors (individuals and foundations)
- Supporting the President’s and board leaders’ major gift work with top donors and prospective donors
- Working closely with GSI marketing and communications so that donors, grantors, and target audiences are receiving integrated and appropriate messaging
- As a GSI leadership team member, will be part of all organization-wide issues and contribute to the overall management of GSI
- Managing direct mail vendor and other key vendor relationships
- 7+ years of experience in fundraising
- An articulated belief in the mission of the organization and its growth potential
- A proven track record as a major gift manager or comparable, transferable experiences
- Excellent communications skills emphasizing the ability to listen and hear others
- Empathy and a strong will to succeed
- Flexibility and willingness to embrace change
- Strategic thinking ability
- Integrity and a sense of humor
- Bachelor’s degree
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter including your interest in this position, GSI’s mission, and your desired salary range
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.