This is the opportunity of a lifetime for a development professional looking for the opportunity to play a key role in the growth of the Liberty Movement’s most exciting new organization—the Center for American Liberty. Awarded the 2020 Gregor G. Peterson Prize in Venture Philanthropy, the Center for American Liberty seeks to add a talented and experienced development professional to its team to build upon its successes.
About the Position: The Director of Development/Development Officer position will provide strategic leadership to elevate the Center for American Liberty’s fundraising efforts. This position will report directly to the Executive Director and will be responsible for strengthening relationships with existing donors, stewarding gifts, and developing innovative strategies to increase giving.
This is a new role at the Center for American Liberty. In our first full year of operation, 2020, we experienced tremendous growth that necessitates building out a fundraising department that can meet the organization’s financial needs. The Center for American Liberty is leading the fight, through litigation, to defend the free speech rights and civil liberties of Americans left behind by civil rights legacy groups. Because the Center engages in a broad scope of litigation, any development professional joining our team will need to be able to communication complex legal issues to donors in a way that clear, concise, and inspiring.
Initially, the Director of Development/ Development Officer will be the only staff member dedicated solely to fundraising (though he/she will receive support from the Executive Director and Founder & CEO). Over time, this person will help grow the development department and expand the Center’s reach.
The position can be based in our Frederick, MD headquarters or a virtual office.
- Provide strategic leadership to increase giving from all sources: individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Manage a portfolio of donors and prospective donors at all stages of the gift cycle
- Steward gifts; travel to meet with donors in-person as needed
- Draft accurate and timely reports after visiting with donors
- Draft and oversee gift/grant proposals
- Demonstrated commitment and enthusiasm for the Center for American Liberty’s mission
- A good listener—able to listen to the needs, stories, and values of the donor
- Self-motivated, industrious, and entrepreneurial
- Positive attitude
- The ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to continual improvement—strong dislike for mediocrity
- Willingness to take risks and think outside the box
- Desire to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done
- 5+ years of experience in fundraising
- Proven success as a fundraising professional with experience cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding new and existing gifts; experience with moves management preferred
- Experience developing relationships with free-market donors/knowledge of free-market donors a plus
- Demonstrated success in writing and submitting successful proposals, LOIs, and other fundraising tools
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed (approximate travel: 30-40%)
- Highly effective interpersonal, conversational, and presentation skills
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred
- College degree preferred
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. The Center offers a generous benefits package, including fully paid health and dental insurance.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your passion for the Center for America Liberty’s mission
- Your relevant experience, especially as it relates to growing revenue and growing a development operation (providing specific numbers would be helpful)
- Your salary requirements
- A comprehensive résumé
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.