About Common Sense Institute
Founded in 2010, Common Sense Institute (CSI) is a non-partisan research organization dedicated to the protection and promotion of our economy. As a leading voice for free enterprise, CSI’s mission is to examine the fiscal impacts of policies and educate voters on issues that impact their lives.
CSI’s founders were a concerned group of business and community leaders who observed that divisive partisanship was overwhelming policymaking and believed that sound economic analysis could help people make fact-based and common sense decisions.
Common Sense Institute operates nationally in multiple states. CSI currently has state chapters in Arizona and Colorado; and will launch a state chapter in Iowa in January 2024; with plans to expand into additional states in the coming years. Each state has its own board of directors, however, all states operate under the same EIN and share services under a central office. This position would serve the CSI Iowa state chapter and report to the CEO.
About the Role
The Director of Policy and Research at CSI Iowa is responsible for producing and managing all research publications, including fellowship reports, published by CSI. The Director spearheads the creation and execution of methodologies used for estimating the economic, fiscal, and other impacts pertaining to the research and content disseminated by CSI.
This includes maintaining the exemplary quality of CSI’s research and publications, ensuring that they embody findings and insights that not only bolster CSI’s mission but also enhance its credibility. The Director plays a crucial role in supporting organizational initiatives aimed at communicating and distributing our research effectively through avenues such as public speaking, media, and various events.
Furthermore, the Director is instrumental in fostering meaningful engagements with key CSI stakeholders, such as board members, donors, members, and other third parties. This involves supporting research release endeavors, amplifying CSI’s visibility, nurturing relationships, expanding reach, and growing contributions, all in alignment with furthering CSI’s overarching mission and research objectives.
- Ideally 5+ years of experience in public policy, economics, or a role involving significant data analysis
- Experience using IMPLAN or REMI or another econometric model
- Experience with press and speaking to large audiences
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize effectively
- An entrepreneurial spirit and positive attitude
- Passion for free enterprise
Employment Details and Benefits
- Full-Time, in-person located in Des Moines, Iowa
- Salary Range: $125,000-$150,000
- Benefits: include 401k after one year of employment; up to 4% match; 50% health care insurance coverage; 15 paid vacation days; including the majority of holidays and extra days at Thanksgiving and Christmas; paid sick leave; annual educational and professional development; 4 virtual works days per month; childcare reimbursement.
- Travel: To other CSI chapters as needed
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials (in order) in one PDF document:
- A cover letter explaining why you are qualified for this position, why you believe in free enterprise, a writing sample with economic anlaysis, your interest in CSI, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Senior Manager of Outreach at Talent Market, who is managing the search process: [email protected].
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.