Americans for Fair Treatment (AFFT) seeks an entrepreneurial Communications Specialist to plan and execute AFFT’s communications, marketing, media, and social media strategy. Qualified candidates will be knowledgeable about public sector unions and free-market public policy solutions. A general understanding of trends in state and municipal governments in the Northeast is welcome but not required.
Americans for Fair Treatment is located in Harrisburg, PA but works throughout the Northeast to help public sector workers exercise their First Amendment rights. This position will be based in a virtual office from anywhere in the United States, ideally in the Northeast.
About Americans for Fair Treatment:
AFFT is a non-profit membership organization founded in 2014 that exists to help public sector employees understand their constitutional rights around union membership and to provide or connect those employees with resources to help defend and execute their rights.
AFFT is a growing organization with ample opportunity for advancement. We offer benefits including health insurance, generous PTO and FMLA plans, and a retirement plan with employer match.
We look for team members who are driven, self-motivated, and want to learn from others. We are a lean organization, and our staff members thrive best when they have an entrepreneurial spirit. Our team is passionate about constitutional rights, individual freedom, and personal responsibility.
- Contribute to content idea generation, stay informed of current developments related to public sector unions in the U.S
- Work with outside media contacts, writers, and a marketing firm to build AFFT’s communications and media strategy
- Contribute to AFFT’s social media
- Write op-eds, short news articles, and policy briefs. These pieces may be published under the author’s name, or they may be written in partnership with AFFT executive staffers for publication
- Conduct basic research to identify newsworthy topics and trends in labor reform and public sector unionization
- Prepare remarks for public testimony in state and federal legislature
- Advise AFFT executive team on preparation for media interviews; participate in media interviews when appropriate
- Collaborate with an assortment of researchers and public sector employees to create written content
- Understand and support AFFT’s mission and values
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to work independently
- Understanding of social media platforms and how to craft an effective message for social media
- First-rate writing and editing skills
- Excellent command of grammar, tone, and AP style
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Adept at distilling dense material, specifically public documents, public-policy research, and academic publications
- Proficient writer with an ability to write in multiple formats and voices
- Expansive research skills with a focus on interpreting findings from public documents and uncovering newsworthy topics
- High initiative level requiring only area guidance
- Ability to speak Spanish and Haitian Creole would be a huge plus
- Accomplished writer, journalist, or policy analyst
- 3 or more years of experience as a writer, journalist, or in the public policy field
- Familiarity with social media
- Ability to communicate effectively with media
- Body of publication related to public policy, government affairs, or politics
- Passionate about AFFT’s mission of helping public sector workers exercise their First Amendment rights without fear of coercion from unions
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your interest in this position, b) your interest in/commitment to the mission of Americans for Fair Treatment, c) writing sample, and d) salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: http://www.talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.