About the Controller Opening:
The Controller reports directly to the Director of Finance and Compliance and is responsible for the management of all company accounting activities for both the organization and an affiliated organization, including accounting controls, the general ledger, accounts payable and the annual financial statement audit. The Controller directly supervises a Finance team member and assists the Director of Finance and Compliance with projects and other duties, as necessary.
Being a part of ExcelinEd means joining a high-performing and motivated team of education advocates with a shared belief that every child deserves a quality education. Team members are committed to our core values of service, integrity, collaboration, expertise and making a difference. Our organization sets big, hairy audacious goals and works tirelessly to support states in transforming education through student-centered policies that increase student learning, advance equity and ready students for college plus careers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees and performs daily operations of the accounting function, including general ledger maintenance, account reconciliation, cost allocations, accruals, and monthly close process
- Ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the accuracy of the data and reporting among natural GL account classifications and between programs, projects, and grants; produces accurate and timely financial statements
- Oversees and supports the accounts payable process and position, unclaimed funds, credit-monitoring, and leads annual 1099 preparation and filings
- Improves accounting software utilization and monitors and maintains the quality of data imports and entries
- Maintains a system of internal controls and standard operating procedures; recommends and implements best practices
- Works directly with independent CPA firm to conduct annual audits of the financial statements
- Works with the Director of Finance and CPA firm to prepare annual IRS Form 990 and other tax disclosures, as required
- Manages state sales and use tax exemption certificates, compliance and filings
- Gains a comprehensive understanding of all business software, practices, and policies that impact the finance and accounting function; ensures proper accounting and compliance review and approval for travel and business expense reporting and implements procedural improvements
- Maintains complete and accurate records
- Assists the Director of Finance and Compliance with treasury, forecasting, planning and analysis, as needed
- Five or more years of accounting experience with clear progression in responsibility
- Certified Public Accountant license (CPA) is strongly preferred
- Non-profit experience is desirable
- High technical proficiency in Microsoft Excel and navigating accounting and expense software, such as Blackbaud Financial Edge and Concur
- High level of attention to detail with demonstrated analytical capabilities
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and teamwork skills
- Customer service focus
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the Controller opening, ExcelinEd’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.