The Leadership Institute is a 501(c)3 organization that was founded in 1979 by its president, Morton C. Blackwell. LI provides training in campaigns, fundraising, grassroots organizing, youth politics, and communications. The Institute teaches conservatives of all ages how to succeed in politics, government, and the media.
The Institute offers 48 types of training schools, workshops, and seminars; a free employment placement service; and a national field program that trains conservative students to organize campus groups.
Since 1979, LI has trained more than 210,989 conservative activists, leaders, and students. The Institute’s unique college campus network has grown to more than 2,110 conservative campus groups and newspapers.
ABOUT THE OPENING:
The Comptroller reports directly to the Vice President for Finance and is a member of the finance department of the Leadership Institute (LI).
This position will be responsible for computing, classifying, recording, and verifying numerical data for use in maintaining accounting records by performing general bookkeeping duties.
This individual will work closely with the VP of Finance to implement finance and accounting improvements, and to explore how the financial staff can better support LI’s mission. This role is a full-time position at LI’s headquarters in Arlington, VA.
- Oversees accounts payable and investigates problems that vendors or purchasing agents have with obtaining payment for bills
- Prepares vouchers, invoices, checks, account statements, reports, and other records, and reviews for accuracy
- Reconciles bank statements, report discrepancies, and problems
- Reviews, investigates, and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports
- Reviews, balances, and interprets computer reports, and makes corrections
- Assists in managing the payroll and corporate credit cards
- Oversees daily caging process
- Assists employees, vendors, clients, or customers by answering questions related to accounts, procedures, and services
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting periodic internal audits; providing information to VP of Finance
- Assists in the annual budget process by establishing appropriate timelines/schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data from departments
- Works with the VP of Finance in the recommending of budget allocations to accomplish organizational goals
- Periodic preparation of special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Degree in Accounting or Finance or two (2) years experience in financial and/or accounting operations
- Effective communication skills and a strong commitment to developing team members
- Philosophical alignment with and passion for LI’s mission
- Strong quantitative, analytical skills and a comprehensive understanding of finance and cash management
- Ability to be highly confidential around internal financial information and plans in order to protect the organization
- Willingness to maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending appropriate educational workshops; reviewing professional publications and websites
- Establish/maintain professional networks; participate in professional societies
- Experience with 501(c)3 organizations
- Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains)
- Raiser’s Edge
HOW TO APPLY:
All applicants must have an up-to-date and complete jobseeker profile on www.conservativejobs.com to be considered for an interview.
After completing/updating your jobseeker profile on conservativejobs.com, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover Letter detailing:
- Your interest in the position/the mission of LI
- Your salary requirements
- Confirmation that you have completed/updated your jobseeker profile
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.