The Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity (FREOPP), founded in 2016, is a non-profit, non-partisan think tank focused on expanding economic opportunity to those who least have it, using the tools of individual liberty, free enterprise, technological innovation, and pluralism. All research conducted by FREOPP considers the impact of public policies and proposed reforms on those with incomes or wealth below the U.S. median.
FREOPP is headquartered in Austin, Texas, and has offices in Washington, D.C. For more information, please visit FREOPP.org.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Communications Manager who can help to maximize the public impact of FREOPP scholars’ research and ideas to expand equal opportunity in America. As the Communications Manager, you will play a crucial role in shaping and disseminating our organization’s messages, research findings, and policy recommendations. Your work will contribute to increasing awareness, engagement, and support for our mission to promote equal opportunity for all.
The Communications Manager will ideally be based in FREOPP’s headquarters in Austin, TX, or its Washington, DC office, or in New York City. We will also consider exceptional candidates who want to work virtually, but all else being equal, we strongly prefer candidates who are willing to work in person.
1. Develop and implement strategic communication plans:
- Collaborate with the FREOPP Leadership Team to develop and execute comprehensive communication strategies aligned with FREOPP’s goals and initiatives
- Identify target audiences, key messages, and appropriate communication channels to effectively reach and engage stakeholders
2. Content creation and management:
- Write, edit, and proofread a variety of content, including but not limited to, press releases, articles, newsletters, and social media updates
- Coordinate with the FREOPP research team to ensure accurate representation of their work in various communication materials
- Monitor and maintain the quality and consistency of FREOPP’s visual branding, including logos, graphics, and other design elements
- Implement and enforce brand guidelines to ensure all external-facing content reflects FREOPP’s mission, values, and visual identity
3. Media relations and public outreach:
- Cultivate relationships with journalists, editors, and media outlets to increase FREOPP’s media presence and secure coverage of our research, policy work, and events
- Pitch FREOPP’s research findings, policy recommendations, and expert analysis to TV and radio networks, aiming to secure interviews, appearances, and feature stories
- Respond to media inquiries and coordinate interviews with FREOPP experts and spokespeople
- Identify and pursue opportunities for guest contributions, speaking engagements, and public appearances for FREOPP representatives
4. Digital and social media management:
- Develop and implement social media strategies to grow FREOPP’s online presence and engage with key audiences
- Monitor and analyze social media metrics to assess the effectiveness of communication campaigns and make data-driven recommendations for improvement
- Manage and maintain FREOPP’s website, ensuring that it is up to date, visually appealing, and user-friendly
- Monitor website analytics and generate reports to evaluate website performance and identify areas for improvement
5. Event coordination and support:
- Assist as needed in planning and coordinating FREOPP events, conferences, webinars, and working groups related to FREOPP’s areas of focus
- Support logistics, outreach, and promotion efforts for events, both in-person and virtual.
- Provide on-site support during events, including managing media relations, coordinating speakers, and overseeing photo and video needs
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in communications, public relations, or media relations, preferably in a non-profit, think tank, or policy-oriented environment
- Strong writing and editing skills, with the ability to distill complex information into clear, concise, and compelling messages
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, stakeholders, and media professionals
- Proficiency in using social media platforms and content management systems for audience engagement and analytics
- Demonstrated understanding of policy issues related to economic opportunity, individual liberty, and social mobility
- Familiarity with media monitoring tools and techniques
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Passion for the mission and values of FREOPP
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials (in order) in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing why you are a strong candidate for this position, your geographic preference, and salary requirements
- Three references, including email address, telephone number, and relationship to the candidate
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Bailey Drouant, Outreach Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.