The mission of the Independence Institute is to empower individuals and to educate citizens, legislators, and opinion-makers about public policies that enhance personal and economic freedom. Founded in 1985, the Independence Institute was the first free-market, state-focused think tank and proponent of reform and civil liberties in the Rocky Mountain West. The Institute has grown in expertise and reputation to lead the state in examining, developing, and forwarding free-market solutions to public policy issues.
But they are more than a think tank. They are an “action tank.” They put ideas into action through groundbreaking litigation, ballot initiatives, media and investigative reporting, and coalition building. They don’t just fight on paper. They fight for freedom on the streets, in the statehouse, in the media, on the ballot, and in the courts.
About the Role
The Communications and Marketing Manager (CMM) will oversee all external communications and marketing functions for the Independence Institute (II). This role will also manage the promotional efforts of each Policy Center and will coordinate promotional efforts of the news aggregator site, CompleteColorado.com. They will be responsible for supporting and promoting the media efforts of II including all video and audio productions and projects.
This newly created full-time position will serve as the primary manager of all external messaging and promotional efforts and will be responsible for keeping the organization on message and on brand. The CMM will maintain and oversee all social media platforms of the organization and help to ensure continuity between them. The CMM will be responsible for developing and coordinating II’s weekly, monthly, and quarterly newsletters, external updates, and digital and printed publications. The CMM will have direct oversight of the marketing budget and will be responsible for creating and implementing II’s annual Communications and Marketing plan.
The ideal candidate will have between one and five years of experience in a marketing or communications position, including internships. To be successful in this role, you must be hard-working, creative, and a self-motivated individual who shares II’s free-market, pro-freedom perspective. Collaboration with team members is essential in order to execute a comprehensive marketing strategy and promote II’s programs and projects effectively.
- Prioritize and strategically grow Independence Institute’s audience(s).
- Strengthen the connection between our policy objectives and our communications efforts.
- Effectively fuse all marketing, media, and communication capabilities into a unified and comprehensive strategy.
- Oversee and expand internal media, including video and podcast content, social media, website, and traditional and digital marketing channels.
- Build the profile of Independence Institute among external media outlets.
- Promote and enhance the collective Independence Institute brand.
- Lead Independence Institute’s media production arm, marketing and communications efforts, and media strategy to achieve policy objectives.
- Proactively seek out and assist Independence Institute staff to capitalize on all meaningful media opportunities.
- Inspire, engage, and motivate team members while holding self accountable to deliver outstanding results.
- Develop and adhere to Communications budget, focusing on maximum impact.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent level of demonstrated marketing and communications knowledge.
- 1-5 years of experience in marketing, communications, public relations, or related field. Internships may be considered as experience.
- Understanding and alignment with Independence Institute’s mission and culture.
- Mission-driven freedom lover: A passionate believer in the importance of personal and economic freedom.
- Advanced knowledge of market research, metrics, audience segmentation, digital/social media, and multichannel marketing.
- Familiarity with WordPress, web analytics, social media management, print production processes, and SEO marketing, desired, but not required.
- Direct experience with copywriting, content marketing, marketing project management, brand-building, and graphic design.
- Experience in managing multiple social media accounts on multiple platforms, including tracking and growing targeted KPI’s.
- Professionalism and maturity to handle trusted messaging on public platforms.
- High emotional intelligence and people skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and superb attention to detail.
- Positive attitude and fun-loving spirit. We take our work seriously, but not ourselves!
- Organized self-starter: An energetic and reliable individual who is motivated and meticulous in setting and achieving goals.
- Knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to lift 30+ lbs to assist with operational duties and event planning.
What Independence Offers
- The salary range for this position is 40-50k, depending on experience and skill set.
- A winning team motivated to achieve our mission and deliver remarkable results.
- Growth potential and the opportunity to build a rewarding and challenging career.
- A personal, family-feel organization where we care about one another.
- Hybrid work environment, with mix of in-office and remote work when needed.
- Benefits package, including health, dental, retirement, life insurance, PTO, and more.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your philosophical interest in the organization, why the position interests you, how your experience has prepared you for this position, and your salary requirements.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talent market.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Lydia Ocampo, Network Engagement Specialist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.