About the Director of Media & Public Relations Opening:
Do you excel at brand building and public positioning? Are you skilled at developing and delivering successful communications and media strategies? If you’re looking for an opportunity to apply your skills and talent to make a positive contribution and help others flourish, this could be the role for you. The Commonwealth Foundation is seeking a forward-thinking Director of Media & Public Relations to grow our brand, strengthen our positioning in national and local media markets, and establish a world-class media relations team. This role will be responsible for developing and leading the organization’s media and public relations strategy, in close partnership with the Director of Marketing and Executive Vice President.
In this role, you will work closely with members of the communications, policy, and government affairs teams, providing media and PR guidance and execution to advance the brand of Commonwealth Foundation and our executives, as well as advance our policy goals and overall organizational objectives.
The Director of Media & Public Relations is a remote position (with the option to work out of our offices in Harrisburg or King of Prussia) and will report to the Director of Marketing.
About Commonwealth Foundation:
The Commonwealth Foundation is among the most effective and influential state-based think tanks in the country. With a top-notch team of policy analysts and communication experts, Commonwealth Foundation transforms free-market ideas into public policies, so all Pennsylvanians can flourish. Our work is driven by our core values of:
- Treating everyone with dignity,
- Stewardship of our investors’ time and treasure, and
- Pursuing productive solutions to problems.
- Develop and lead Commonwealth Foundation’s media and public relations strategy, ensuring goals are established and met for earned media, thought leadership, and public positioning.
- Build a world-class media relations capability—through managing an internal team and vendors—to effectively position Commonwealth Foundation as a leader in our priority issue areas, while successfully advancing our vision, policy objectives, and business goals.
- Identify opportunities to raise the profile of the organization and our executives through earned and placed media, events and public engagements, and other innovative tactics or strategies.
- Develop and expand relationships with key reporters, producers, and media outlets at the national, state, and local levels.
- Monitor the media landscape and seize breaking news opportunities to tie Commonwealth Foundation’s issues and priorities to news of the day, toward increasing earned coverage of the organization and our experts.
- Turn research and policy materials into compelling, media-ready talking points and quotes for pitching to reporters/editors/producers.
- Manage media contacts and develop processes and measurement for earned media tracking.
- 4-8+ years’ experience in media relations, communications, public affairs, or public policy / political campaign work.
- Proven track record of success developing and executing public relations and media strategies for organizations and individuals.
- Established relationships with national publications, editors, and reporters, with experience achieving earned coverage, managing rapid response, and developing creative approaches to maximize media opportunities.
- Demonstrated success developing talent as a supervisor, managing vendors, and collaborating with other teams, executives, and key stakeholders.
- Ability to distill complex policy issues into clear and effective public-facing messaging and products that gain attention.
- Firm grasp of media landscape with ability to spot and seize opportunities before others.
- Comfort navigating ambiguity, with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Some knowledge of the Pennsylvania media landscape preferred
- Experience setting and executing public relations and media strategies for organizations and individuals
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Monthly stipend for health care.
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology and home office supplies.
- 4% company contributions towards retirement plan.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position, Commonwealth Foundation’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.