The Commonwealth Foundation is among the most effective and influential state-based think tanks in the country. With a top-notch team of policy analysts and communication experts, CF transforms free-market ideas into public policies so all Pennsylvanians can flourish.
Our research and advocacy have led to lower taxes on working Pennsylvanians, greater transparency in state government spending and contracts, criminal justice reform that reduced both prison population and crime, and increased educational options for thousands of students.
Our work is driven by our core values of:
- Treating everyone with dignity,
- Stewardship of our investors’ time and treasure, and
- Pursuing productive solutions to problems.
The Commonwealth Foundation is looking for a motivated and hard-working individual to join the team and support our communications, development, and research efforts. The Copy Editor will work closely with members of the Communications team. The position will report to the Creative Director and be based virtually or in our Harrisburg or Philadelphia offices.
The Copy Editor will handle final proofreading for a variety of print and online materials produced across teams in a dynamic and growing nonprofit environment. Projects may include marketing and promotional documents, op-eds, news releases, grant proposals, personal emails, policy research papers, social media posts, graphics, newsletters, website copy, etc.
The Copy Editor must be able to work on long-form research documents while also promptly fulfilling ad-hoc, short-form proofreading requests from executives and other staff members.
Editing and Proofreading
- Identify and correct grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors
- Verify names, places, and organizations are properly spelled
- Confirm facts, dates, and statistics are accurate
- Ensure sources are cited and verify links are functional
- Ensure written materials adhere to organizational style guide
Recommend Stylistic Improvements
- Identify and improve weak verbs
- Eliminate passive voice where applicable
- Simplify obtuse wording and sentence structure
- Scour graphics to spot stylistic inconsistencies
General Writing & Editing
- Assist authors in researching and writing articles for internal and external publication
- Complete occasional writing and editing assignments
- 2+ years of experience in a copy editing or proofreading position or comparable experience in a similar role
- Alignment with the nonprofits’ missions
- Extreme attention to detail
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Committed to excellence and continuous improvement
- Able to excel in a highly collaborative environment
- Familiarity with AP style
- Ability to communicate well with all levels of staff and management
- Experience in public policy
- Background in journalism or other writing-intensive field
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience
- Monthly stipend for health care
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology
- Company 401k retirement plan contributions of 4%
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter that clearly lays out your interest in the position and CF’s mission
- A writing sample of 500-1000 words, preferably reflecting popular writing styles (op-eds, blogs, magazine articles)
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Strategist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.