About The Center Square
The media industry in the U.S. is shrinking, leaving fewer options for readers to digest the decisions made by their state and local government officials. The Center Square, the state-focused reporting division of the non-partisan, non-profit Franklin News Foundation, seeks to fill this journalistic void.
The Center Square covers government from a taxpayers’ perspective, not from government’s perspective. We hold government officials accountable for their actions and decisions, and inform our readers how those decisions affect them.
The Center Square is staffed by editors and reporters with extensive professional journalism experience. We engage readers with essential news, data and analysis – delivered with velocity, frequency and consistency.
This key role will be joining other state news operations as we expand our impact in the states.
About the Role
The Center Square is seeking a highly motivated, experienced reporter to lead our taxpayer-focused coverage of state government and statewide issues in Tennessee. We’re looking for someone who has both editing and government reporting experience, and a strong interest in and understanding of politics and public policy.
This is a full-time, remote role. Preference will be given for candidates who are able to occasionally travel to Nashville, Tennessee.
- Report on state government activity, monitor legislative and policy developments that affect the region, and use public records and databases to ferret out waste, fraud and abuse.
- Promote The Center Square stories to local and regional media partners in the states.
- Cultivate trusted sources to provide leads on potential stories, including those inside and outside government, think tanks, academia, and the business community.
- Monitor the state media landscape to identify popular topics and potential media partners.
- 2+ years of government reporting experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, political science, or a related field is preferred
- Excellent writing and research abilities, and familiarity with Associated Press style
- Ability to take direction well, and work remotely
- Ability to look beyond government-mandated press releases and reports to determine the real impact of policy on taxpayers and job creators
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your philosophical interest in the organization and how your background matches the responsibilities
- A writing sample
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Strategist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.