About the Organization
Established in 2014, the Cardinal Institute is an award-winning nonprofit organization, or “think tank,” dedicated to researching, developing, and promoting effective public policies for the Mountain State. Cardinal’s goal is to restore freedom and opportunity across West Virginia by advocating for free-market solutions to West Virginia’s most pressing challenges. We are building the intellectual foundation and network necessary for putting our state on the path to prosperity. Cardinal is an entrepreneurial, fun, freedom-loving organization that’s been making a serious impact since its founding days.
Visit our website to learn more about what we’re about!
About the Role
“Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads …”
If you’ve ever sung this song at the top of your lungs, then you have a love and connection for West Virginia. Now, it’s time to take the next step!
The Cardinal Institute seeks a Communications and Social Media Associate to join its growing team to drive awareness around the Cardinal Institute and its mission of advancing liberty and prosperity for all West Virginians. This is an opportunity to contribute to a statewide conversation on important issues such as Tax and Fiscal Policy, Education Choice, Energy, Rural America’s Issues, Government Ethics/Transparency, as well as other policies consistent with a freer West Virginia.
Under the direction of Cardinal’s Communications Director, the Communications and Social Media Associate will play an instrumental role in achieving Cardinal’s ambitious communications goals for the upcoming year.
The Communications and Social Media Associate will primarily oversee Cardinal’s digital content – from brainstorming ideas and forming strategies, to content creation, to building and executing campaigns and measuring their success. The ideal candidate will like producing social media content just as much as he/she loves digging into the analytics – and want to work somewhere that will empower them to do both.
This is a full-time position based in either Cardinal’s Charleston, WV office or remotely.
- Assist with developing and executing a communications and digital marketing strategy for the Cardinal Institute including: messaging, materials, digital strategy, and cross-platform promotions
- Execute daily social media posting and cultivate conversations
- Metrics Monitoring for Google Ads/Analytics and social media platforms
- Assist with traditional media outreach and media monitoring
- Help grow Cardinal’s audience in West Virginia
- Ensure optimal branding of the Cardinal Institute to a statewide and national audience
- Partner closely with the communications director in the development and execution of communications campaigns
- Cultivate and moderate conversations in Cardinal’s Facebook Group for Hope Scholarship participants
- Translate policy wonk into English alongside the Communications Director to spread the message of freedom and opportunity
- Contribute articles to Cardinal’s blog
- 0-2 years of professional work experience and/or relevant internships
- A firm understanding of and support for Cardinal’s mission and goal to restore freedom and opportunity in West Virginia
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with a knack for storytelling
- Ability to multitask and set priorities
- Attention to detail
- A desire to work flexibly and serve enthusiastically on a team
- Natural curiosity – a desire to consistently learn new skills and try new approaches
- Experience with web design, social media, web content management systems, e-mail marketing services, graphic design, and/or publishing software are a plus
Salary and Compensation
The salary range for this position is $35,000-40,000, depending on experience. The Cardinal Institute offers health, dental, life insurance, 401k retirement account along with flexible vacation, and sick days. Flexible work environment and schedule.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position and the mission of the Cardinal Institute
- A writing sample of 500-1000 words. Samples should be self-authored, preferably reflecting popular writing styles (op-eds, blogs, magazine articles)
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Outreach Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.