Center of the American Experiment, a conservative Minneapolis-based think tank, is hiring an Editor & Publisher to manage, Thinking Minnesota, their quarterly 60-page magazine. (CAE’s long-time Editor & Publisher is retiring at the end of the year.). First published in 2015, the magazine’s circulation has grown from 8,000 to roughly 95,000 readers through a combination of lively, relevant writing and world-class graphic design. The Editor & Publisher will work alongside a graphic designer, who will share responsibility for the design features of the magazine. The position is located in Golden Valley, MN and virtual work is not available.
Oversee all editing and writing aspects of producing a 60-page, slick-format quarterly magazine, from concept to mail house.
- The Editor & Publisher will be a self-starter in what will technically be a one-person department, albeit working alongside a graphic designer, managing a publishing process that includes assigning stories, designing and monitoring a folio, and coordinating advertising insertions, circulation numbers, and a printer
- Manage contributors that include policy fellows, a consulting designer, and a proofreader
- Coordinate all aspects of a quarterly public opinion poll, conducted by a prominent national pollster
- Help policy experts shape reader-friendly long-form magazine articles as well as short contributions
- Provide substantive editing and feedback on all pieces
- Write short articles
- Keep up with local policy trends and events to integrate into the editorial output of the magazine
- Publish all pieces on time with engaging headlines, subheads, cutlines and pull quotes
- Maintain marketing strategies
- The ideal candidate will have either several years experience in helping policy experts produce reader-friendly long-form magazine articles and pithy (500-word) short pieces or related experience and a naturally strong managerial personality
- Strong project management skills, an ability to meet deadlines, and an ability to ensure that other team members are adhering to deadlines and word counts
- Strong editing and writing skills
- The ability to work with a variety of different personalities and coordinate multiple team members to meet the final goal
- Understanding all aspects of producing a magazine from folio to pre-production
- Familiarity with the state-level intersection of public policy and politics
- Outstanding proof-reading skills
- Experience in the processes of public opinion polling
- Knowledge of Mac-based InDesign program.
- Proven ability to write compelling heds, deks and cutlines
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style and the AP Stylebook
- An ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Passionate about the Center of the American Experiment’s mission and free-market principles
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position and the Center of the American Experiment’s mission
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: http://www.talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.