Center of the American Experiment is Minnesota’s think tank. Its mission is to change Minnesota’s civic culture by promoting free-market, limited government policies. In addition to writing and commissioning papers, holding public meetings, and informing legislators, the Center engages in an aggressive outreach program including op-eds, radio ads, videos, emails, an active web site (www.americanexperiment.org), a quarterly magazine, Thinking Minnesota, Facebook, and more. Through these means, the Center brings conservative messages to millions of Minnesotans.
About the Role
The Center is looking for a Communications Director to advance the organization’s mission by engaging and expanding its audience through proactive, effective, and systematic external communications. This person reports to the Center’s President, John Hinderaker, and directly manages the Communications Specialist. American Experiment is growing, and the Communications Director position offers tremendous opportunity for professional development. This role is located in the office in Golden Valley, Minnesota. Currently most of the staff is working in-office and the Center is excited to have the Communications Director join the team!
The Communications Director’s responsibilities will include:
- Maximize the effectiveness of a $1.2 million yearly marketing budget by developing persuasive, integrated campaigns that increase public support for policies and initiatives.
- Place paid media ad buys, craft earned media strategies, measure results, and optimize for best ROI.
- Manage the work of various advertising agencies and creative vendors who help execute the Center’s projects.
- Manage the work of the Communications Specialist.
- Grow the Center’s social media audience on all platforms through organic and paid strategies.
- Oversee marketing of Center issue papers, forums and key initiatives, including media advisories, daybook notices, news conferences, news releases and advertising efforts.
- Track the Center’s media and marketing campaigns as well as references to the Center in the media; maintain an ongoing record of impressions.
- Maintain the Center’s website content and functionality.
- Develop relationships with members of the local, statewide and national media with the goal of establishing the Center as a go-to resource for journalists on key issues. Manage media requests for interviews and inquiries on the Center’s policy positions.
- Place op-eds written by Center staff in newspapers statewide.
- Participate as needed in copy writing and editing of various communications.
- Internal communications as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in communications, marketing, public relations, or related field
- Commitment to free-market, limited government principles
- Top-notch writing and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship development skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Proficiency in social media communications and platforms
- Experience managing vendor relationships preferred
- Experience in a public policy related role preferred
- Experience interacting with the media preferred
- Proficiency with WordPress, MailChimp, Google Analytics, Facebook Business Manager, and Google Ads preferred
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this position/the mission of the organization and salary requirements
- A relevant writing sample
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.