About the Center for American Liberty
Founded in 2018, the Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to defending the Free Speech rights and civil liberties of Americans left behind by civil rights legacy organizations. The Constitution guarantees individual liberty rights, but we’ve observed, there is a coordinated assault on our civil liberties from corporations, politicians, socialist revolutionaries, and inept or biased government officials.
Founded by Harmeet Dhillon, The Center for American Liberty is leading the fight against this assault on liberty by holding those who destroy civil liberties accountable through the courts. Having won 3 religious liberty cases at the U.S. Supreme Court in 2021 on behalf of faithful Californians challenging Governor Newsom’s various COVID restrictions, the Center for American Liberty is now litigating Free Speech cases against Twitter, Rose City Antifa, the U.S. Capitol Police Board, and various elected officials across the country.
Reporting to and working closely with the Senior Litigation Counsel, the Associate Counsel is responsible for supporting litigation efforts at all stages, including intake of new cases, counseling clients, legal research, drafting demand letters, complaints, motions, and other litigation documents, and reviewing documents produced in discovery. Top applicants will have litigation experience, judicial clerkship experience, and superior writing skills.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage intake of new potential cases
- Draft, edit, and review substantive briefs
- Manage relationship and communication with clients
- Significant motions practice and discovery work
- Research novel issues of law
- Develop legal strategies that advance clients’ interests
- Professionally handle confidential information
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- Active law license in any U.S. state in good standing
- 0-5+ years of relevant litigation experience in First Amendment and constitutional law preferred but not required; recent law school graduates will be considered
- Endorses and is motivated by the mission and work of the organization
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized with an ability to manage the details of multiple cases and consistently meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- High energy, a willingness to work hard, and an innate desire to produce superior work
- Creative and quick thinking; shows grace under pressure
- High standard of honesty and strong sense of ethics
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. The Center offers a generous benefits package, including 100% coverage of health and dental insurance premiums.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter, including your interest and alignment with the mission of the organization and your salary requirements
- Your comprehensive résumé
- Two writings samples, preferably motions or memos, you’ve drafted personally
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.