The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is seeking an Assistant Managing Editor for The Bridge, the Mercatus Center’s online magazine of politics, economics, and culture. The Assistant Managing Editor will share all editorial duties with the Senior Managing Editor and is responsible for writing and editing all types of content published on The Bridge, pitching story ideas, recruiting new contributors, helping with photo and illustration research, and loading new content on the magazine’s website. The Assistant Managing Editor also will help the Senior Managing Editor in launching a new website and creating a new content portfolio for the magazine.
This role will work closely with members of the Communications and Marketing, Media Relations, Policy Research, and Publications teams, and will report to the Senior Managing Editor of The Bridge.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University:
For 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
- Provide substantive editing and feedback on all pieces from pitching stage to copyedits
- Solicit original writing pieces for The Bridge aimed at general audiences
- Publish all pieces in a timely manner with engaging title, subtitle, images, charts, and marketing strategies
- Keep abreast of media and policy trends in order to pitch ideas to Mercatus scholars and outside contributors to best leverage their research and engage with the discourse
- Develop working relationships with outside scholars, thinkers, and writers in areas of interest to the magazine
- 8 to 10 years of relevant editorial experience working for publications in the politics and public policy space
- Well-rounded person with the ability to dive deep into any subject
- Excellent editing skills, including the ability to take difficult concepts and translate them into clear and compelling prose for a general audience
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to work with authors to help them shape their research into engaging articles for a general audience
- A solid understanding of the public policy issues of the day
- Detail-oriented with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced workplace
- An ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for advancing the Mercatus mission
- Familiarity with economic and academic concepts a plus
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and twelve free credits per year at George Mason University.
How To Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing the reasons why you are a strong candidate for this position, your interest in the Mercatus Center’s mission, geographic preferences, and salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.