About the Organization
The American Enterprise Institute is a public policy think tank dedicated to defending human dignity, expanding human potential, and building a freer and safer world. The work of our scholars and staff advances ideas rooted in our belief in democracy, free enterprise, American strength and global leadership, solidarity with those at the periphery of our society, and a pluralistic, entrepreneurial culture.
The Human Resources & Talent Development Team at AEI contributes to achieving this vision by providing seamless hire to retire services for our scholars and staff, supporting day-to-day engagement and longer-term development. In all aspects of the employee experience – from recruiting and onboarding to benefits and payroll, performance management, offboarding and culture – the Human Resources & Talent Development team supports the people behind the ideas.
About the Roles
The HR & Talent Development team is looking to bring on 2 new team members – a HR Generalist to focus in on recruiting, and a HR Assistant to support broad departmental and organizational operations. Both roles are focused on delivering seamless hire to retire services, and creating an excellent employee experience by being responsive, proactively communicating, anticipating needs, and ensuring accuracy in work product.
The HR Generalist is responsible for all recruiting efforts within assigned departments – encompassing research, business and outreach departments. This role also encompasses employee engagement, starting with a candidate’s first experience and continuing in onboarding and throughout the employee lifecycle. It also encompasses the administration of internal systems and operations within the HR team and AEI broadly. The ideal candidate for the Generalist role likely has 3+ years of HR experience.
The HR Assistant focuses extensively on supporting the HR program and team while building business and HR skills to work independently and advance professionally within the HR field. This role contributes to a variety of human resources programs from recruiting and onboarding to compensation, benefits, disciplinary matters, recognition and culture, as well as training and development. The HR Associate likely has 1-2 years of experience; internships may be considered experience for this role.
The HR Generalist and the HR Assistant will work from AEI’s Washington, DC office and report to the Manager, HR and Talent Development. AEI is committed to finding the right match for both of these roles. If you read this job description and think you’re a fit, regardless of your years of experience, we encourage you to apply.
The HR Generalist and HR Assistant responsibilities will be assigned as appropriate. Both will work in and around all aspects of HR, so each should be prepared to handle aspects of each of the following responsibilities, as well as other duties that may come up:
- Participate in or lead the recruitment planning, recruitment efforts, selection, and offer processes for entry, mid and senior level candidates within assigned departments at AEI
- Provide a superior candidate experience from first point of contact to hire;
- Partner with internal outreach teams and external career services contacts to coordinate recruiting and build talent pipelines
- Contributes to the administration of broad human resource programs including but not limited to:
- Recruiting, hiring and onboarding
- Performance and talent management
- Employee recognition and culture
- Employee communications
- Employee recordkeeping; electronic HR systems administration
- Training and development
- Disciplinary matters and investigations
- Compensation, benefits, and leave
- Occupational health and safety
- Facilitates the onboarding and offboarding processes for employees in assigned departments
- Facilitates training and learning opportunities on AEI mission, culture, policies and on professionalism in the workplace with employees
- Assists with planning, organizing, and executing special events such as wellness programming, organization-wide meetings and events, and employee recognition events
- Develops checklists and process documentation for all aspects of the recruiting process and other HR processes as needed; prepares reports for internal or external distribution including compliance and metric reporting as needed
- Assists in compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance
- The ideal candidate for the Generalist position likely has at least 3+ years of relevant experience in an HR or recruiting role while the Assistant position calls for approximately 1-2 years of experience, though candidates who have less experience but are eager to grow in the HR field are encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated interest in public policy and the mission of AEI
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, human resources, liberal arts or related field preferred
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills; ability to manage and multiple simultaneous deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive/confidential information and to use discretion
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with HCMs and ATS software a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook)
Both positions may travel occasionally (up to 10%) to participate in recruiting or other events
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials as a single PDF:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the HR Generalist and/or HR Assistant position, the mission of AEI, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.