About the Organization
The American Enterprise Institute is a public policy think tank dedicated to defending human dignity, expanding human potential, and building a freer and safer world. The work of our scholars and staff advances ideas rooted in our belief in democracy, free enterprise, American strength and global leadership, solidarity with those at the periphery of our society, and a pluralistic, entrepreneurial culture.
About the Role
AEI is seeking a talented manager and strategic thinker to join the External Affairs team and contribute to our efforts to connect our scholars’ work to leaders around the country.
The Manager will be responsible for developing relationships with leaders in think tanks, business organizations, nonprofits, community groups, and other sectors. He or she will also play a crucial role in recruiting new members and developing innovative programming for the highly regarded AEI Leadership Network.
The Manager will interface regularly with scholars, research assistants, and members of the broader AEI community. He or she will also be responsible for helping to manage and guide the work of junior colleagues.
The ideal candidate for this position will have approximately five years of experience in a relevant field and be happy in an intellectual, creative, and detail-oriented environment. A deep understanding of the think tank landscape and a commitment to AEI’s mission is essential.
This is a full-time role based in AEI’s Washington, DC office. The External Affairs Manager will occasionally travel for events and meetings.
- Stakeholder Stewardship: Ensure members of the Leadership Network and stakeholders within the think tank, business, and community sectors are informed about AEI’s work and opportunities to stay involved on an ongoing basis
- Program Design: Opportunities to initiate/manage new engagements based on feedback from stakeholders
- Team Supervision: Supervise two External Relations Assistants, including conducting regular check-in meetings, helping set goals and strategy, reviewing work product, and providing general guidance
- Event Planning and Promotion: Assist in planning and execution of events and other meetings. This may include booking facilities, digital event marketing and promotion, sending meeting reminders, tracking reservations, making calls, attending events, public speaking, media outreach, and conducting necessary follow-ups
- Database Management: Data entry and management of information in Salesforce
- 5+ years of experience in external relations, outreach, or a related field
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Demonstrated interest in public policy and the mission of AEI
- Excellent interpersonal skills and attention to detail
- Top-notch writing and communication capabilities
- Good judgment and the ability to independently juggle multiple projects at once, often under tight deadlines
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced, team environment
- Experience with a contact management database such as Salesforce or Marketo is preferred
- Experience in and an aptitude for people management is also a plus
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials as a single PDF:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position and the mission of AEI
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.