Reason is the publication of “free minds and free markets” that uses journalism to make the case for increasing civil and economic liberties and expanding choice in all areas of life. Founded in 1968 as a monthly magazine of “Free Minds and Free Markets,” Reason is the nation’s leading libertarian journalism outlet and along with a print distribution of 45,000, we host a website that attracts 4 million visits a month and produce original videos that draw over 4 million views a month. Our staffers regularly appear on leading cable news and radio programs and our work is widely cited in the media.
Reason is looking for an advertising and email marketing director to manage digital revenue generation and drive revenue growth. Location is flexible but applicant must be able to work effectively with a largely virtual team.
Digital Advertising and Revenue
Manage all functions of online advertising revenue generation, ad stack setup & strategy, demand partner selection & evaluation, and yield optimization at reason.com.
- Develop and implement strategies for maximizing advertising revenue on Reason’s digital platforms including reason.com, YouTube, and email newsletters.
- Manage Reason.com’s advertising platform, DoubleClick for Publishers
- Continuously measure performance of Reason’s ad networks and adjust delivery settings to optimize revenue from these networks.
- Regularly identify opportunities to add new ad networks and implement them in system.
- Provide ad sales support including media kit development, identification of prospects, preparation of proposals, traffic analysis for targeted campaigns, development of customized placements, etc.
- Perform analyses to establish and update pricing for directly sold ads and coordinate with ad sales rep on inventory available for directly sold ads based on value of space.
- Optimize affiliate program revenue from Amazon Associates and similar programs.
- Implement and measure the performance of experimental revue generation programs of all kinds.
- Create monthly advertising revenue reports and manage outstanding accounts.
Email Marketing Platform Management
Manage all aspects of Reason’s customer email platform and email marketing vendor relationship.
- Develop and implement strategies for Reason.com email communications, including expanding the reach and effectiveness of existing and new editorial newsletters, as well as regular and targeted promotional communications with customers.
- Work with development to develop and execute email communications with donors and subscribers (informational, fundraising, events, etc.)
- Work with print circulation contractors in all aspects of Reason print and digital subscription email campaigns.
- Analyze performance (opens, clicks, purchases) of email communications and work with colleagues to maximize performance
- Identify and implement methods of growing the size of Reason’s email lists, including purchasing or renting other lists and experimenting with alternative ways of capturing visitor email addresses.
- Coordinate and execute day-to-day processes
- Manage staff training of marketing platforms
- Work with our website developer on building tools related to ad units, email subscription management, Amazon Associates promotions, and related issues.
- Provide customer service for digital subscribers and registered Reason.com users
- Extensive involvement in web analytics
- Implementation of other digital publishing initiatives that emerge.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in digital advertising and email marketing
- Experience with major advertising platforms and email marketing platforms
- Understanding of and commitment to our organizational mission and goals
- Experience with WordPress, Excel, and Google Analytics.
Salary commensurate with experience.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing 1) your philosophical interest in the position/the mission of the organization and 2) your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.